This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3873 / 53°23'14"N
Longitude: -2.5974 / 2°35'50"W
OS Eastings: 360364
OS Northings: 387992
OS Grid: SJ603879
Mapcode National: GBR BY98.GG
Mapcode Global: WH98R.24F2
Entry Name: Parr Hall
Listing Date: 4 April 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58831
Location: Warrington, WA1
Locality: Bewsey & Whitecross
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Warrington Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 6087 PALMYRA SQUARE
Public hall. 1895, by William Owen, for J Charlton Parr, who provided the building and the site. Later C20 alterations. Brown brick with red brick with terra cotta and ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 2 storeys, !:5:1 bays. Windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes. Single-storey lean-to entrance with 3 pairs of double doors under a canopy on scroll brackets, flanked by 2-light windows. All these openings have 3-light stone-mullioned overlights. 2-storeyed end pavilions with hipped roofs. 2-storeyed centre block has windows divided by pilasters, and square-domed belvedere enclosed by a balustrade.
INTERIOR:Main hall has curving balcony on 3 sides, cantilevered from outer walls, with coved ceiling underneath, and Grecian decoration. Windows, now blocked, have eared architraves. Coved ceiling with plain panels.
Stage flanked by panelled wooden staircase enclosures, approached from the stage by curved staircases with turned balustrades. At the rear of the stage, an elaborate Decorated Gothic style two-tower organ case, with fielded and quatrefoil panelling and crocketed pinnacles. This contains the organ, by the notable French organ-builder Aristide Cavaille-Coll. The organ was built in 1870 at Bracewell Hall, Yorks., for the music publisher TJ Hopwood. It was enlarged in 1875, and resited in 1883 to Ketton Hall, Rutland. The organ was bought by Warrington Corporation and installed in Parr Hall in 1923-26. This is the only example in England of an instrument by Cavaille-Coll which retains its original specification, and is regarded as a significant work by a major French builder.
Ground floor corridors around the hall give access to staircases, exits and meeting rooms, all largely refitted late C20.
All the listed buildings in Palmyra Square form a group with Nos 9 to 2l odd, the Museum and Art Gallery Bold Street No l0 Egypt Street + Nos 5 to 13 odd Springfield Street and Nos l and 15 Suez Street].
Listing NGR: SJ6036487992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings