History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cressbrook Hall and Attached Terracing

A Grade II Listed Building in Litton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2534 / 53°15'12"N

Longitude: -1.7468 / 1°44'48"W

OS Eastings: 416991

OS Northings: 372959

OS Grid: SK169729

Mapcode National: GBR JZ7T.MG

Mapcode Global: WHCD0.4HG7

Entry Name: Cressbrook Hall and Attached Terracing

Listing Date: 22 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80955

Location: Litton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, SK17

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Litton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Tideswell St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Tideswell

Listing Text

SK 17 SE PARISH OF LITTON CRESSBROOK LOWER LANE
(South Side)
3/43 Cressbrook Hall and attached
terracing
GV II

Small Country House, 1843 probably by Weightman & Hadfield, for Henry McConnel.
Extended in 1851. Coursed squared limestone, vermiculated gritstone blocks and
gritstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs and moulded stone coped gables continuing
as eaves copings, with moulded finials. Moulded stone ridge and eaves stacks in
groups of two, three, four and five. One stone gable end stack. Tudor style.
Two storeys. Irregular L-plan with later wing projecting to west. Asymmetrical
north elevation of five plus five bays. 1843 range to east. Central gabled bay
with doorway with moulded surround and four-centred arch, flanked by tall side
windows. Mullioned and transomed oriel window above and single light window in
the gable. Left hand two bays have either side of a projecting chimney stack, a
cross window to the ground floor and single light window above. Right hand
two bays have two 2-light mullioned windows to the ground floor and two 2-light
windows above. 1851 range to right with similar one and 2-light windows. South
elevation. 1843 range of three symemtrical bays. Centre bay set back with
arcade of three four-centred arches to ground floor with gableted parapet. Four-
light mullioned and transomed stair window above. Gabled bays on each side with
two storey castellated canted bay windows of 3 plus 2-lights. The ground floor
windows have a transom. The 1843 range has a chamfered plinth, chamfered string
course acting as hoodmoulds to the ground floor windows and returned hoodmoulds
to the upper windows. 1851 range to left in similar style with two storey gabled
block on the right and a single storey billhrd room to the left. In between is a
blind wall with rooms behind and the site of the demolished conservatory. Balustrade
terracing attached to south and east, with sundial dated 1853. The gardens were
laid out by Edward Kemp.


Listing NGR: SK1699172959

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.