History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel and Former School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0233 / 51°1'23"N

Longitude: 0.5775 / 0°34'38"E

OS Eastings: 580858

OS Northings: 128041

OS Grid: TQ808280

Mapcode National: GBR PV6.NV9

Mapcode Global: FRA D63D.SXZ

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel and Former School

Listing Date: 20 June 1967

Last Amended: 5 July 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 170335

Location: Sandhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Parish: Sandhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Text

SANDHURST
TQ82NW RYE ROAD (OFF)
1350-0/6/229 (South side)
20/06/67 Baptist Chapel and Former School
(Formerly Listed as:
Baptist Church)
GV II
Baptist chapel and former Sunday School. Chapel of 1853,
Sunday School of 1899. Chapel built of red brick with 4 bays
facing north and 3 west, each flanked by white brick pilasters
with segmental arched arcading above. The 2 centre arches of
the north front contain Venetian windows; the outer ones are
round-headed at 1st floor level. Eaves cornice of white brick
cogging. Slate roof with brick chimneystack. Gable end facing
west reated as a pediment and with 2 similar arches below it
containing windows on ground and 1st floors. Square porch.
Interior has semi-circular wooden pulpit and gallery supported
on 2 Tuscan columns. Attached is a Sunday School of 1 storey
red brick with slate roof, 1 gabled dormer and 1 false gabled
dormer with clock face. 3 Gothick windows with keystones. 2
plank doors. Pilasters and cogged eaves cornice. Inscription
reads "In memory of Thomas Ellis Slaughter, founder of this
school, died Sept. 28 1899 aged 69 years".


Listing NGR: TQ8144127997

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.