This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4571 / 53°27'25"N
Longitude: -2.7404 / 2°44'25"W
OS Eastings: 350935
OS Northings: 395844
OS Grid: SJ509958
Mapcode National: GBR 9X9G.JG
Mapcode Global: WH874.WC7L
Entry Name: Church of St Mary, Lowe House
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216377
Location: St. Helens, WA10
County: St. Helens
Locality: Town Centre
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: St Helens St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 49 NE ST. HELENS NORTH ROAD
4/86 Church of
11.9.51 Lowe House
Catholic church. 1924-30. C.B. Powell. Rock-faced stone
with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave with aisles; west
tower with flanking porches; crossing dome with round
transept and chancel apses; south war memorial chapel and
north rounded chapel apse. The style is a combination of
Gothic and Byzantine elements. Tower has setback
buttresses, gabled west entrance has round arch of 3 orders
with mosaic tympanum; doors have decorative iron strapwork.
Window of stepped triple round-headed lancets under
relieving arch. 3 lancet bell openings between buttresses
which rise above parapet; corner turrets are embattled.
Aisles have paired lancets and flying buttresses supporting
clerestory with embattled pinnacles. Apses have paired
lancets and copper roofs. Copper dome on embattled
octagonal drum has lancets under Lombard frieze. South
chapel has gabled porch and round apse. Vestry to south.
Interior: 4-bay nave has round-arched arcades on polished
granite round columns with Byzantine capitals, brick vault
with stone ribs on corbelled wall shafts. Round timber
gallery in front of round tower arch. Crossing has round
drum on pendentives with paired openings under diapered
tympana. Chancel has iron screen and openings to
ambulatory. Transepts have small east chapels. C20
crossing altar on dais and font. The church is an important
local landmark and is a richly decorated exercise in the
Byzantine style combined with Gothic exterior details.
Listing NGR: SJ5093595844
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings