History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of England Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Thanet, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3735 / 51°22'24"N

Longitude: 1.3773 / 1°22'38"E

OS Eastings: 635150

OS Northings: 169236

OS Grid: TR351692

Mapcode National: GBR WZZ.T6S

Mapcode Global: VHLG6.TQHZ

Entry Name: Church of England Chapel

Listing Date: 16 January 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489949

Location: Thanet, Kent, CT9

County: Kent

District: Thanet

Town: Thanet

Locality: Salmestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Text


878/0/10036 Church of England Chapel, Margate Ceme
16-JAN-03 tery

GV II

Cemetery chapel, one of a pair. Built by Birch of Margate in 1856, builder G Hadlow. Early English style. Kentish ragstone rubble with stone dressings, tiled roof with terracotta ridge tiles and gabled bellcote with finial to west end (bell missing).
EXTERIOR: West end has trefoil window above arched doorcase with colonnettes. Ornamental ironmongery to door. Buttresses. South side has two gables with trefoil-shaped finials and double trefoliated windows with quatrefoil above and buttresses. North side has a gable and gabled transept with double arched trefoil window with quatrefoil above. East window is traceried with triple trefoil window with two trefoils and quatrefoil above.
INTERIOR: Of two bays with arch-braced roof with purlins and ridgepiece supported on moulded stone corbels. There is plank dado panelling, wooden pews, tiled floor and an original table altar with chamfered supports. The east wall has wall paintings executed in 1905 by Gordon Hill in the style of Dante Gabriel Rossetti. These comprise an angel bearing palms to the right, an angel with crown to the left, stencilled decoration with centred "fleur de lys" and, at the apex of the gable, two angels flanking a central cross.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.