History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crawley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1114 / 51°6'41"N

Longitude: -1.3954 / 1°23'43"W

OS Eastings: 442417

OS Northings: 134852

OS Grid: SU424348

Mapcode National: GBR 85C.81F

Mapcode Global: VHC3D.RBNB

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350455

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145557

Location: Crawley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Crawley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Crawley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Littleton

Listing Text

SU 4234 CRAWLEY CRAWLEY
(North Side)
11/1
5.12.55 CHURCH OF ST MARY

GV II*

Parish church. C12 foundation, C15 alterations and additions, and restorations
and additions of 1887 and 1901. Flint and stone walls, with a tiled roof.
Chancel with north chancel (vestry) of 1887, nave of 3 bays with aisles, western
tower and south porch. Plain exterior, with tiled roof, walls of flint with stone
pieces and stone dressings. The chancel windows are lancets but the aisles have
C15 coupled lights within square frames, with hood moulds terminating in carved
heads. The plain tower, of small dimension on plan, has a top section of 1901,
with crenellated parapat and triple belfry lights. The late C19 porch has a
wood frame on a stone base wall. Inside, the pointed chancel arch (C14) rests
on Norman jambs, with scalloped caps to the nook shafts; on its east side is
an inserted fragment of zig-zag ornament from the original Norman arch. The
nave was rebuilt in the C15, with a centre line north of that of the chancel,
and it is likely that the 3 bay arcade belongs to the same date; it comprises
a massive barn-like timber frame, of octagonal posts and arch braces, the missing
king posts above the cambered tie-beams being replaced by higher collars. There
are floor and wall monuments of the late C18 and early C19, a Perpendicular
octagonal font, and inscribed brass memorial of 1609 (to Dr Reniger), a C19
pulpit, a C17 wood chest, and a cast-iron muniments chest of 1813.


Listing NGR: SU5114328877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.