History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Denis

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Compton, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9705 / 51°58'13"N

Longitude: -1.6205 / 1°37'13"W

OS Eastings: 426169

OS Northings: 230290

OS Grid: SP261302

Mapcode National: GBR 5QY.K3H

Mapcode Global: VHBZ0.VQPS

Entry Name: Church of St Denis

Location: Little Compton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, GL56

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Parish: Little Compton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 9 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 305988

Source ID: 1355522

Listing Text


LITTLE COMPTON
SP2830
14/53 Church of St. Denis
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as parish
Church of St. Denis)

GV II*

Church. C12 origins. C14 tower, the remainder rebuilt 1863-4 by E.G. Bruton.
Squared coursed limestone rubble with C20-tile roof. Chancel, nave with short
south aisle and south tower. Chancel of 3 bays with chamfered plinth, quoins,
chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to east with moulded kneelers and cross
at apex. To east a C19 window in C13 style of 3 trefoiled lights. Hood mould
with plain labels. To south three C13 re-used windows, each of a single light
with trefoiled head, that to left set lower. To north a C19 gabled vestry with
C20 tile roof and coped gables with kneelers. To east a Tudor-arched doorway
with plank door. Trefoiled single-light window to right is perhaps re-used. To
west a further trefoiled window of a single light, also perhaps re-used. Nave of
4 bays with chamfered plinth, quoins, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gables
with moulded kneelers. To south, in angle of south tower and south wall of nave,
a 2-bay aisle with parapet and coped gable with moulded kneeler to east. To east
of aisle, and to two south openings a C19 square-headed window of 2
hollow-chamfered pointed lights. To left of south wall of nave a C19 gabled
porch with pointed, ovolo-moulded doorway. C19 door. To left a re-set C14
pointed window of 2 ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil. C19 hood mould and plain
labels. To north wall of nave three C19 windows in C13 style of 2 trefoiled
lights with quatrefoil-pierced plate tracery. Hood moulds with plain labels. To
right a C19 doorway with hood mould and plain labels. Plank door. To left a C19
single-light window. To east gable end and to centre-right of north wall a C19
stone stack. To west wall a paired C19 window in C13 style with
quatrefoil-pierced tracery. Hood moulds with plain labels. C14 south tower of 3
stages with moulded plinth. A weather-course divides the first and second stages
to south and west. Flat buttress to second stage north-east and north-west
angles. Offset diagonal buttresses to south-east and south-west angles.
Saddleback roof with coped gables to north and south. The lower stage, which
originally served as a chapel, has C19 or restored C19 chamfered doorway. To
south wall a segmental-pointed window of 2 round-headed lights with chamfered
surrounds, set slightly back, To east, visible from south aisle, a 2-light
mullioned window, now blocked. To each face of second and third stage a
double-chamfered rectangular light. Interior: to south wall of chancel, the
easternmost window has a C13 moulded and trefoiled rere-arch. Window to centre
has C13 moulded splays which continue into a moulded, trefoiled arch.
Westernmost window has moulded, trefoiled rere-arch supported on shafts with
moulded capitals. C19 trefoiled piscina in north wall. C19 double-chamfered
chancel arch. 2-bay south aisle arcade with central round pier and responds with
moulded bases and capitals. Double-chamfered arches, To west of arcade a C14
triple-chamfered tower arch. In east wall of tower a C14 altar recess with
chamfered surround. In south wall a small piscina. C19 barrel-vaulted chancel
roof, arch-braced collar truss nave roof and panelled aisle roof. C19 stained
glass in chancel east window and aisle windows. Re-set in south-east window of
chancel sane fragments of C16 glass from the Church of Villers, destroyed in
1918, Large C13 round font. In nave floor grave slabs to Thomas Juxon who died
in 1643, to Elizabeth Pony who died in 1652, Sir William Juxon who died in 1739,
and John Jones who died 1755, aged 57. In north wall of nave a wall tablet to
Susanna, Viscountess Fane who died in 1792. She was wife of William Juxon, whose
grave lies in the nave floor.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.51-52; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.340-341).


Listing NGR: SP2616930290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.