History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denton with Wootton, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1749 / 51°10'29"N

Longitude: 1.1819 / 1°10'54"E

OS Eastings: 622507

OS Northings: 146548

OS Grid: TR225465

Mapcode National: GBR W0W.CM3

Mapcode Global: VHLH2.FQNQ

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Location: Denton with Wootton, Dover, Kent, CT4

County: Kent

District: Dover

Parish: Denton with Wootton

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Date: 22 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178592

Source ID: 1363381

Listing Text

TR 24 NW DENTON AND WOOTTON WOOTTON LANE
(north side)
1/63
Church of St.
22.8.62 Martin
GV II*
Parish church. Early C13 with C12 evidence and with C14 alterations
and restored 1878-9 by Withers and 1881. Flint and rubble with some
brick repairs and with plain tiled roof. Chancel with northern vestry,
nave and west tower. Two stage tower with string course to parapet
with large offset buttress on north-west corner, Angle buttresses to
nave. Lancets throughout, some restored, with C19 east window and C15
lancet in vestry, which is possibly remains of C15 chapel;south and
north doorways with sunk quadrant moulding, north door blocked, south
in 1878 porch with moulded blind arcaded woodwork on flint base.
Interior: round headed reveal to tower lancet. Simple pointed tower
arch, and widened chancel arch of similar pattern. Roof of 3 crown
posts. Chancel roof C19 wooden waggon vault. Fittings: shelved piscina
and window-seat style sedile in chancel, chamfered piscina in nave.
Alabaster reredos of 1881 (as in window glass), main relief of pelican
piety. Octagonal pulpit with C17 linenfold panels. C18 prayer boards
to left and right of chancel arch. Monuments: 2 black and white wall
plaques, to Sir John Brydges, dl839, and Rev. Charles Kinleside, d.1811,
both with draped urns over sarcophagus-shaped plaques, different
treatment of similar theme by same artist, T. Denman of Regent Street,
London, brother-in-law of Flaxman and inheritor of his business and
commissions. (See BOE Kent II 1983, p503; see also R. Gunnis).


Listing NGR: TR2227446220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.