Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2845 / 51°17'4"N
Longitude: 1.1822 / 1°10'55"E
OS Eastings: 622003
OS Northings: 158736
OS Grid: TR220587
Mapcode National: GBR VZJ.KNY
Mapcode Global: VHLGH.FZV6
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Location: Wickhambreaux, Canterbury, Kent, CT3
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 30 January 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171551
Source ID: 1367089
5273 WICKHAMBREAUX THE GREEN
Church of St Andrew
TR 25 NW 10/678 30.1.67
TR 2258 36/678
Mainly perpendicular, restored in 1868. Built of flint and stone with tiled
roof. Chancel, with organ chamber to the north of it, nave with aisles, west
tower within nave with crenellated parapet. North porch. Three bay nave with
tie beam roof. Two piscinas, one on the south wall of the chancel and one
on the south wall of the south aisle. C18 lectern. Wall paintings of 1868.
The east window has Art stained glass of the Annunciation dated 1896 and signed
Arild Rosenrrantz. The New York Times of 1896 reported that this was the first
commission in Europe to be given to American glassmakers. Monument to the
Rev Alexander Young of 1755 by Sir Robert Taylor. The churchyard contains
some C18 headstones with cherub, skull, hourglass or heavenly trumpet motifs,
some chest tombs and some C19 oval bodystones.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings