This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4485 / 52°26'54"N
Longitude: -0.9191 / 0°55'8"W
OS Eastings: 473557
OS Northings: 283938
OS Grid: SP735839
Mapcode National: GBR BSQ.GFN
Mapcode Global: VHDR0.0QYC
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367480
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360286
Location: Great Oxendon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Great Oxendon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Oxendon St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
3/33 Church of St. Helen
Church. C13, C14 with C19 restoration. Squared coursed lias and limestone with
concrete tiled roof to nave, chancel and north aisle and porch and aluminium
roof to south aisle. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one window
range of 2-light square headed windows to north and south. 3-light C19 east
window with reticulated tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets,
kneelers and finials. South aisle of 2-window range, 2-light C19 window to left
with cusped tracery. 3-light square-headed window to right. Similar 3-light east
window. Gabled porch between windows has single chamfered arch and Decorated
door surround in south wall with plank and braced door. Lean-to roof with ashlar
gable parapets. North aisle similar with two 3-light square headed windows.
North porch between windows has blocked door and window openings and is now used
as a vestry. Angle and clasping buttresses throughout. West tower of 3 stages
with string course sub-divisions in first and third stage. 3 stage ashlar
buttresses in first stage. Each stage sets back in receeding steps. 2-light bell
chamber openings to each face of the third stage. Castellated parapet with
square pinnacles at the corners has sections missing. Interior: Double chamfered
chancel arch, 3-bay nave arcade. That to south is C13 with double chamfered
arches, circular piers and circular capitals and abaci. That to the north is C14
with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers and ball flower enrichment. There
are 2 half arches across the north aisle. The triple chamfered tower arch has
capitals with flowers. Chancel roof is C19 and nave roof is C20. There is a
sedilia in the left wall of the chancel. Stained glass: East window by Powell
1870. Stained glass also to east and south east windows of south aisle. Font,
tub shape probably C12, with vertical zig zag decoration. Monument, marble
table, is to Elizabeth Harrison died 1837.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.236).
Listing NGR: SP7355783938
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.