History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 Defence Electric Light Emplacements to East of Link House

A Grade II Listed Building in Blyth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1106 / 55°6'38"N

Longitude: -1.499 / 1°29'56"W

OS Eastings: 432058

OS Northings: 579687

OS Grid: NZ320796

Mapcode National: GBR K9ZB.8T

Mapcode Global: WHC30.YTC1

Entry Name: 2 Defence Electric Light Emplacements to East of Link House

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236083

Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Blyth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Blyth St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

BLYTH LINKS ROAD
NZ 37 NW
(EAST SIDE)
5/121 2 Defence Electric
light emplacements,
to east of
Link House
GV II
Defence electric light emplacements, 1914-19. Reinforced concrete and steel,
with some brick, whitewashed. Two small rectangular buildings 20 metres apart,
each with a semi-octagonal projection at the seaward corner.

Each has a doorway and boarded window in the landward end, machine gun loops in
the other walls, and boarded openings of curving section in the projection,
under a heavy girder; added brickwork above girder level in emplacement no.1
(southern). The projections have flat roofs of a slightly-lower level to the
low-pitched roof of the main part. The beam produced by a parabola-ellipse
reflector could be directed through an 0.1 metre slit between curved metal
shutters and still illuminate a wide area of sea; the 2 emplacements were
operated by an E.L.O. (Electric Light Officer) in a director station at Link
House Battery (q.v.) 300 metres to the south, and powered by an engine house 50
metres to the west, now a public lavatory (q.v.). Rare survival of a World War
1 coastal defence installation.

Listing NGR: NZ3205879687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.