History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Snoring, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.873 / 52°52'22"N

Longitude: 0.8893 / 0°53'21"E

OS Eastings: 594550

OS Northings: 334519

OS Grid: TF945345

Mapcode National: GBR S84.X8B

Mapcode Global: WHLR4.M1PV

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 30 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223557

Location: Great Snoring, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Great Snoring

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Snoring Great St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Great Snoring

Listing Text

TF 93 SW GREAT SNORING BARSHAM ROAD
6/61 (south side)

Old Rectory
30.11.51
II*


Manor House of the Shelton family, later Rectory. Either late C15 for Sir Ralph
Shelton or for his son the priest Shelton c1525. Brickwork terracotta dressings and
red pantiled roofs. Two storeys with attics. Originally an hexagonal house built
about an open courtyard of which one complete range between angle towers with a
further half range survive. West range with to north a three sided tower with a top
stage of terracotta Perpendicular blank tracery, five-sided tower to south with a
further 4 stages of empty niches. Terracotta frieze band at first floor and eaves
level with IHS and MR monograms, shields and lozenge panels, perhaps orginal to
house, perhaps an insertion c1525. Four sashes with glazing bars to both floors,
replacing gothic headed mullions, one partly exposed at first floor level. Detached
terracotta panels with renaissance finials and profile heads. Two C18 and one C20
dormers. Off-centre four stack chimney. Late C18 porch, with thin fluted pilasters,
brackets, frieze and dentil cornice. Half glazed door, with glazing bars. C16 gothic
headed door with linen-fold panels and blank tracery divided into 3 lower, 3 central
and 3 upper panels, with a central Shelton crest and IHS and MR monograms. To south-
east: the best preserved gabled half range. One 3-light and one 4-light basket headed
mullioned moulded brick window ground floor one 3-light and one 4-light four centred
arch headed mullioned window with hood-moulds and masks at first floor. First floor
and eaves friezes, Renaissance. Central chimney bracket with Perpendicular panelling
and central shield, 2 C19 stacks. Two C20 windows in gable. To west one bay 2 storey
and 2 bay one storey wing c1840 with prominent stacks. West front north gable a C17
rebuilding beyond angle tower, rendered. To rear a late C17 or early C18 gabled
second pile at north, c1800 staircase pile with tripartite window with glazing bars.
1840 wing of 2 gabled blocks.


Listing NGR: TF9455034519

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.