Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1516 / 51°9'5"N
Longitude: -0.336 / 0°20'9"W
OS Eastings: 516474
OS Northings: 140461
OS Grid: TQ164404
Mapcode National: GBR HHG.RV2
Mapcode Global: VHGSM.4B61
Entry Name: Ockley Railway Station, Rhumbles and the Coach House
Location: Ockley, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Listing Date: 5 May 2000
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479635
Source ID: 1380139
TQ 14 SE OCKLEY STATION APPROACH
1896/8/10023 Ockley Railway Station,
Rhumbles and the Coach House
Railway station, later two houses and railway station. Built in 1867 as a country station for the London, Brighton and South Coast railway. Comprises former stationmaster's house (now Rhumbles), booking office (now the Coach House) with canopy, stairs under the platforms and shelters. 1901 extension to booking office in matching style, covering of steps to the subway in 1892 and circa 1923 extension to the canopy. One or two late C20 windows. Station building of red brick with yellow brick dressings, polychrome yellow and black brickwork and slate roof. Former stationmaster's house to left is of two storeys and L-shaped. Left end bay has C20 uPVC window to first floor and built on late C20 conservatory. Projecting gable has wooden bargeboards and double chimneystack set at angle. Yellow brick band and pilasters. Cambered first floor window and paired cambered window to ground floor. Former booking hall to right was formerly set back and L-shaped but this was filled in by 1901 extension. One storey red brick. Two cambered sashes with verticals and central cambered doorcase to left. Right side has gable end with bargeboards, yellow brick pilasters and paired cambered sashes to ground floor. Side elevation has one cambered window and one cambered door with 4 panels. All rear elevation windows are intact apart from the end window of the former stationmaster's house. Some frosted glass. Interior of stationmaster's house retains half-winder staircase and cambered brick fireplaces. Attached to the rear is a 6 bay all wooden canopy with fretted edge supported on chamfered posts with chamfered brackets. Underground steps with wood and glazed canopy of 1892 lead to 1867 wooden shelter on London side platform. This is one storey of three bays with frame of thin chamfered posts with midrail, mullioned and transomed wooden surrounds to windows, four brackets to outside which is clad in vertical planks and the interior has a built-in bench around all sides supported on wooden brackets. The central section had been removed just prior to the inspection.
(Original contract drawings of 1867 survive in Railtrack's archives. 1901 booking office extension L B&SCR Engineering Committee Minutes 25/9/01, Public Record Office RAIL 414.
1892 covering of subway steps LB&SCR E.C.M. 9/2/92.)
Listing NGR: TQ1647440461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings