This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3835 / 51°23'0"N
Longitude: -2.3732 / 2°22'23"W
OS Eastings: 374121
OS Northings: 165008
OS Grid: ST741650
Mapcode National: GBR 0QH.6T8
Mapcode Global: VH96L.TH77
Entry Name: Victoria Bridge
Listing Date: 11 August 1972
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1395490
English Heritage Legacy ID: 510895
Location: Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Bath St Michael Without
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
VICTORIA BRIDGE ROAD
656-1/29/2483 Victoria Bridge
Suspension bridge. 1836. By James Dredge, engineer.
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar and wrought iron.
EXTERIOR: Single span suspension bridge with plain classical ashlar arches on either bank, attached pylons on each side of segmental arch, plain blocking course and pedimented entablature. Treatment same on both faces. Arches carry suspension chains made up of seven flat wrought iron links rivetted together at intervals. Suspension rods tensioned at different angles, and are Dredge's Patent (see cast iron plaque on bridge, which reads `DREDGE PATENTEE BATH'). Deck made of wrought iron girders and carries wooden roadway been tarmacked and flanked by iron safety railings.
HISTORY: The bridge employs a suspension system first used by Captain Brown on the Union Bridge near Berwick-upon-Tweed, which dates from 1820. `The load on the suspension cables was balanced evenly by arranging them at increasingly acute angles to the main catenary cables as they approached the centre of the bridge' (Buchanan). This bridge is now used only for foot traffic, but nonetheless remains an important survivor (in largely unaltered condition) among early suspension bridges. The bridge was completed in December 1836, but named for accession of Queen Victoria in 1837. Dredge, a local engineer, had submitted a comparable design to the Clifton Suspension Bridge competition, won by Brunel. It was repaired in the 1940's. The bridge, an impressive example of Neo-classical masonry as well as of innovative iron technology, is also a monument to the heavy engineering, which was associated with West Bath from the early C19.
SOURCES: R.A. Buchanan, `The Industrial Archaeology of Bath' (Bath 1969), 10.
Listing NGR: ST7412165008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings