History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Friars Carse, Stables, South East Range

A Category B Listed Building in Dunscore, Dumfries and Galloway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1463 / 55°8'46"N

Longitude: -3.6889 / 3°41'20"W

OS Eastings: 292454

OS Northings: 584855

OS Grid: NX924848

Mapcode National: GBR 28PX.4Z

Mapcode Global: WH5W3.9XL4

Entry Name: Friars Carse, Stables, South East Range

Location: Dunscore

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Parish: Dunscore

Locality: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Listing Date: 26 June 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Building Class: Cultural

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4234

Source ID: 335472

Description

Mostly early 19th century, but principal (south east) range

re-modelled, with tall 2-stage tower built above, probably

circa 1873 (ie when house was enlarged). Stables; 4 single

storey ranges built around quadrangular court, pend central

on main range and at east end of range opposite, former (segmental-arched) at foot of tower, latter (round-arched)

beneath gabled dovecot. Tower and south east elevation built

of bullfaced red ashlar; remainder rubble-built; all with

ashlar dressings. Tower has rectangular opening in tall lower

stage; off-set upper stage has blind narrow openings to

elevastions, and piended roof with stone-bracketted eaves.

South east elevation (roughly symmetrical, and articulated by

advanced central and outer bays): 7 bays (excluding

additional bay to right), outer bays with segmental-headed

bipartites and bargeboarded jerkin roofs; cottage to right

with door and additional bipartite. North west range has slit ventilators and square-headed cartway to outer face; dovecot

(astride roof) has slated flanks and gabled apex ventilator (flight-holes on south west gable). Cartshed/garage in north

east range. All roofed with graded slates. Cobbled courtyard.

Statement of Interest

Tower above pend houses water tank which provided gravity

flow to house. 1598 armorial panel incorporated on south east

elevation.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.