This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9704 / 55°58'13"N
Longitude: -3.1739 / 3°10'26"W
OS Eastings: 326826
OS Northings: 675887
OS Grid: NT268758
Mapcode National: GBR 8S7.L8
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.66VC
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 17 Kirk Street, South Leith Baptist Church
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364100
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27108
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
1893-4. 2-storey 3-bay rectangular-plan church with taller ground floor and plain Renaissance details, single storey bay to NE. Cream sandstone, squared and snecked rubble with polished dressings to front and NW elevation, coursed rubble to rear. Base course; cavetto eaves cornice (badly weathered); round-arched windows (except to ground floor of front elevation) with rounded arrises; ground floor windows to front elevation pilastered and corniced with cill course and panelled aprons.
SW (CASSELBANK STREET) ELEVATION: tall round-arched keystoned doorway to centre, framed by pilasters with consoled pediment, replacement door and semi-circular radial fanlight, decorative iron bracket; 2 tall windows flanking. 4 smaller windows at 1st floor. Stepped wallhead tablet (now rendered over).
NW (KIRK STREET) ELEVATION: 4-bay; secondary architraved and corniced doorway to outer right, panelled door and rectangular fanlight; single window at 1st floor above. remaining bays with tall windows with round-arched border glazing at ground floor and smaller windows at 1st floor. Truncated wallhead stack to centre. Single storey bay to outer left with rectangular window.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed projection at ground floor; 2 single windows at 1st floor to left; slender corniced wallhead stack to right.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Piend and platform slate roof with metal flashings; 2 wallhead stacks (see above).
INTERIOR: as of 1992 (see Notes). Plain 3-bay interior, depressed arches over cast-iron columns with gilded acanthus capitals and embossed Art Nouveau-type wallpapering. Raked floor with original timber pews, timber dado panelling. Compartmental ceiling with egg and dart cornices. Front room with fluted fireplaces and ornate cornices, remains of floral frieze.
The interior of the church was due for conversion (January 1993) to mixed use by the removal of the pews, levelling of the floor and a false ceiling.
Other nearby listed buildings