This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9805 / 55°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.1966 / 3°11'47"W
OS Eastings: 325428
OS Northings: 677042
OS Grid: NT254770
Mapcode National: GBR 8M3.ZM
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.VYZ3
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 9, 10 Pier Place, St Andrew's Free Church, Hall
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364381
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27275
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
William Flockhart, 1883-4. 2-storey, 2-bay rectangular-plan house (originally St. Andrew?s vestry) forming part of terrace. Stugged yellow sandstone; polished ashlar dressings; long and short quoins; chamfered reveals to openings. Base and string courses; depressed ogee arches to ground floor openings; crowstepped gable. Rendered and whitewashed extension to right.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: replacement timber panelled door in bay to left of centre; modern glass fanlight above. Bipartite window to right of doorway; stone mullion and transom. Tripartite window to 1st floor with stugged relieving arch above. Gun-loop opening set in gablehead. Later rendered addition blank.
Plate glass timber windows to ground floor; 2-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st floor; top panels blinded. Grey slate roof with decorative red pantile skews. Octagonal iron light fitting to right of entry.
Originally listed with St Andrew?s Church and 8a Pier Place. Disused in 1977, the building has since been converted into a private residence and is now a separate entity. When awarded the commission to build
St Andrews? vestry and its halls and spire to Pier Place, William Flockhart (1854-1913) was working independently (having worked in partnership with William Wallace between 1879-81). Educated and based in London, Flockhart studied in Paris in 1878.
Other nearby listed buildings