This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4192 / 55°25'9"N
Longitude: -2.7903 / 2°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 350070
OS Northings: 614203
OS Grid: NT500142
Mapcode National: GBR 85YS.P6
Mapcode Global: WH7XN.31KX
Entry Name: Hawick, the Loan, Drumlanrig Hospital
Listing Date: 19 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378986
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34663
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Locality: Hawick and Hermitage
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
1857. 2-storey, 11-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical, piend-roofed former poorhouse with prominent, Classical architrave to central doorway. Random whinstone rubble with droved red sandstone ashlar dressings. Eaves course. Projecting cills. Door with semicircular fanlight and narrow side lights within corniced architrave to centre bay of principal (NW) elevation; tripartite, stone-mullioned window above; regular fenestration elsewhere, with alternate ground-floor windows converted to doorways; N corner chamfered at ground floor and corbelled out to angle above. Central pediment to rear (SE) elevation (see NOTES).
Lying-pane glazing, predominantly 8-pane, in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with metal ridge.
A well-proportioned, mid-19th-century former poorhouse with good classical detailing to the principal doorway and a substantially unaltered profile.
Originally the Combination Poorhouse (or Workhouse) serving 11 parishes, the structure cost £4,000 to build, and could accommodate 133 inmates. It was used as an army hospital during the First World War, and in the 1930s was renamed Drumlanrig Poor Law Institution, serving only Roxburghshire. It has more recently served as a geriatric hospital, but closed down in 1994. It was being converted to sheltered housing at the time of resurvey (2007).
The rear elevation was not seen at resurvey as a result of the ongoing reconstruction works. It is understood that its central pediment with carved gable stone containing the Hawick coat of arms - sculpted by Thomas Beattie and taken from the Buccleuch Memorial (built in North Bridge Street in 1887) when the latter was demolished in 1971 - has been removed during these works for safekeeping, but is to be replaced on their completion. List description revised following resurvey (2008).
Other nearby listed buildings