Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9447 / 51°56'41"N
Longitude: -3.0387 / 3°2'19"W
OS Eastings: 328702
OS Northings: 227868
OS Grid: SO287278
Mapcode National: GBR F4.MQWT
Mapcode Global: VH78M.8DY0
Entry Name: Barn at Court Farm with the attached precinct wall
Location: On the west side of the Llanthony Priory precinct about 110m from the Priory ruins.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Listing Date: 9 January 1956
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Source ID: 1941
The building which is now a barn of Court Farm has medieval perhaps C12 monastic origins and was built as the great gatehouse to Llanthony Priory. This kind of gateway, however, is more characteristic of the later medieval period. Following the Dissolution it passed into secular use and appears to have fallen into ruin. It was remodelled as a barn at two dates with straight joints marking the division. The building had clearly been unroofed, but it was now both reroofed and extended by a further bay. One section of roof appears to be C17 or early C18, while the extension has a C19 roof.
The precinct wall encompassed seven acres and would presumably have been begun fairly soon after the building of the main Priory buildings. What survives now has been much rebuilt and includes the footings of the building, perhaps the Guest House, which once stood at the south-west corner of the precinct.
Llanthony was a priory of Augustinian Canons that was founded c1108-1118 but after 1136 there was a gradual move to the new settlement of Llanthony Secunda at Gloucester. The priory church is late C12. The English cell flourished so much that in 1481 the original Llanthony was reduced to that of a priory cell of Llanthony Secunda, reversing the previous relationship between the two priories. It is therefore surprising that the buildings at the Priory continued to develop but the evidence of this building, as with the Prior's Lodging, suggests that the priory's fortunes were not all lost, although its value at Dissolution in 1536 was only £100. The estate was purchased by Walter Savage Landor in 1809 for £20,000, and it may be that he did some work on this building.
Red sandstone random rubble with a stone tiled roof. A rectangular block, but clearly in two builds, the main medieval part by the road which has corner buttresses, and a 50% extension at the rear when it was converted into a barn. The walling suggests that the tops of the walls, the main gable and all the roof were put on at that time. The triple window in the gable is probably incorporated from somewhere else in the Priory since two cusped headed windows from the C14, flank an apparently Early English one from maybe 100 years earlier. The gable elevation has a large pointed chamfered archway blocked by rubble stonework with two tiers of ventilation slits, and a triangular one above. The rebuilt gable with the triple window is above this. The east wall has an opening into a hay loft in the centre with a blocked opening to the left. A buttress with off-set marks the end of the medieval section, and there is a barn door under a timber lintel in the extension. This is opposed on the west wall. The medieval section has a small arched doorway into a demolished range which may have been a Guest house or an Infirmary. The north gable is blind.
Attached on the west side are red sandstone rubble walling from foundations up to about 2.5m in height. This was the wall of the range to the west of the Priory Gatehouse and then the beginnings of the Precinct wall which once surrounded seven acres. It includes the base of a tower and the doorway into it at the south-west corner. The Precinct wall then turns to the north and runs for about 50m.
The interior has a much earlier medieval look than the exterior and does perhaps suggest a C12 date with half columns and the springing of the vault surviving. It can been seen where the tops of the walls have been repaired and a new roof put on. The roof over the medieval part has principal rafter trusses with collars and ties and three tiers of purlins. This is repeated over the extension, but constructed with sawn timbers.
Grade I as an important survival of the buildings of Llanthony Priory and for its group value with them, Court Farm, Abbey Hotel and St David's Church.
Other nearby listed buildings