This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6115 / 51°36'41"N
Longitude: -4.2274 / 4°13'38"W
OS Eastings: 245870
OS Northings: 192652
OS Grid: SS458926
Mapcode National: GBR GR.JH01
Mapcode Global: VH3MP.PR0G
Entry Name: Packhorse Bridge over Burry Pill
Listing Date: 3 March 2000
Last Amended: 3 March 2000
Source ID: 22877
Building Class: Transport
Location: In Cheriton Wood, on a footpath south west from Kittlehill
Community: Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably an early C17 bridge, taken to be contemporary with Western Mill, possibly built by the miller to enable packhorses to come and go without having to pass through a ford. The mill is believed to be early C17; it is mentioned in a lease renewal of 1667 as a grist mill tenanted by Henry Else.
The bridge replaces a ford across the Burry Pill, on a path connecting the mill to Cheriton and Landimore via Kittle Hill.
The bridge is clearly indicated on the 1844 Tithe Map.
A packhorse bridge (or a bridge for small carts only) without parapets, on three small segmental arches each of about 1½ metres span. Rubble masonry, axe-dressed arches. The bridge is about 2½ metres wide and including the approaches about 30 metres in length.
The centre arch has been rebuilt in a rougher technique.
A very well preserved small vernacular bridge for packhorse or small cart traffic.
Other nearby listed buildings