This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7953 / 51°47'42"N
Longitude: -4.5999 / 4°35'59"W
OS Eastings: 220810
OS Northings: 213933
OS Grid: SN208139
Mapcode National: GBR D2.Y1PB
Mapcode Global: VH2P8.742L
Entry Name: Cyffig Church
Listing Date: 11 October 2000
Last Amended: 12 January 2001
Source ID: 24116
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the S side of a minor road some 3km SE of Whitland.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Anglican parish church, C15 NW tower with N aisle behind, S nave and chancel. The tower has S and E arches into nave and N aisle, but E arch is wider than present aisle suggesting that there was an earlier N nave. The bellcote on the S nave suggests that it predates the tower, but clear evidence is lacking. Unlike many similar towers there is no vault within. The bells fell in 1784 and 'broke down the loft'. Restored 1889-91 for £700 by Henry Prothero of Cheltenham, the roof was then said to be only about 20 years old but already decayed. The walls were pinned and repaired, the windows replaced, a new N window inserted, the roofs reslated, and the interior refitted. There was some correspondence between Thackeray Turner of the SPAB over the restoration and it appears that F R Kempson was initially the architect consulted. Tower repaired in 1906.
Church, rubble stone with slate roofs. Massive NW tower of squared stone with battered plinth, tiny rectangular single louvred bell openings, corbelled embattled parapet and NW stair tower. W face has C15 flat-headed 2-light window with hoodmould and segmental-pointed heads to lights. Small louvred light at mid height on tower E face. N face has low segmental-pointed chamfered tower door with eroded hoodmould. Stair tower has 4 loops on N face. Straight joint between tower and nave W gable to right. Nave roof has been raised and two blocked 4-centred arched bell-lights below the present 2 rough cambered arched bell-openings show the original bellcote height. C19 shouldered coping. Small cambered-headed W door. S door is pointed with stone voussoirs and C19 door, small rectangular light to right of centre, and further right are pair of big early C18 arched windows in slightly projecting sandstone ashlar frame extending from sill to eaves. Windows have square pier, imposts and metal small-paned glazing. Nave SE corner is rebated, suggesting some rebuilding, and windowless chancel S wall appears rebuilt. E gable has battered base and is paired with aisle E gable. Both have overhanging verges of 1890 and 3-light flat-headed windows of 1890, the chancel E window with 4-centred arches to heads, the N aisle lights flat-headed, as also the 2 similar N windows. All have relieving arches.
Tower is not vaulted and floors have been removed leaving it open to decayed pitched roof. Blocked arches E and S, stone voussoirs to W window. Segmental pointed door on N side and tiny chamfered segmental pointed door to stair on left. Main interior has whitewashed plastered walls, roofs with simple pine wishbone trusses, presumably of 1890, and red tiled floors of 1890. Nave W has low cambered arch over door. N side has deep pointed arch into tower, chamfered, with C20 infill and door. Next arch is broad plastered segmental pointed with chamfer, slightly stepped out for jambs. Pointed plastered chancel arch set to left. Chancel has 2-bay C19 roof, two plastered segmental pointed arches to N aisle on chamfered square pier with chamfered E respond, with diagonal stops. Sanctuary step stone fronted with red tiles and rail with wrought iron uprights, all of 1890. N aisle is stone flagged, plain, with similar roof trusses. Big blocked arch to W, into tower, the arch off centre to suggest that previous aisle or nave was wider.
Fittings: much retooled font with square bowl on square shaft. Small stoup on nave N side. Pews of 1890, square bench ends, stalls with fielded panel backs and shaped bench ends also 1890. Pulpit with stone base and 3-sided panel front, mid C19. Stained glass: E window of c1920, 3-light, with IHS symbol to left, Good Shepherd to centre and Welch Regiment emblem to right (similar to E window at Marros). Memorials: John Jones of Sick (Syke) (d.1771), plaque in fossiliferous marble of 1814. Some lettered floor slabs: Griffith Dovan (d.1775) and Robert Walters (d.1814).
Graded II* as a substantially medieval church with massive C15 tower and some unusual earlier C18 alteration.
Other nearby listed buildings