If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: 1-8 Staverton Mill
Date Listed: 21 May 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 100643
OS Grid Reference: SX7843763755
OS Grid Coordinates: 278437, 63755
Latitude/Longitude: 50.4610, -3.7140
Explore more of the area around Staverton, Devon at Explore Britain.
438/4/97 1-8 STAVERTON MILL
(Formerly listed as:
STAVERTON MILL (PREMISES OF STAVERTON
Former water mill, now dwellings. Built alongside the River Dart c1790, heightened to one storey and extended by 1887, converted into offices in the 1930s, and into flats in the early C21.
MATERIALS: The former mill is built in stone rubble. It has a pitched slate roof with gabled ends.
PLAN: The tall, late-C19 three-storey mill with attic is rectangular in plan and the original mill is the two-window range at its south-west end. Attached to the northern end of the north-west elevation is a small single storey wing. The former late-C19 stable block is attached to the south-west end of the main building. The stable range is also rectangular in plan and stands at right angles to the mill building.
EXTERIOR: The original mill is a two-window range, extended by five bays to the north-east in the late C19. The window openings, with segmental stone arches, contain C20 casement windows with glazing bars. The central bay of the late C19 extension, on the side facing the River Dart (south-east), has a doorway to each floor, now partly blocked to form windows which are slightly wider than the others. Over the south-west gable is a wrought iron weather vane. There are four C20 flat-roofed dormers to the south-east elevation. The former stable range, much altered, is two storeys high and its five window elevation faces the road.
INTERIOR: Not inspected. Photographic evidence (2010) indicates the survival of internal stone walls, ceiling beams and parts of the roof structure.
HISTORY: Staverton Mill was built c1790, as a water-driven corn mill situated on the north bank of the River Dart. By 1887 the mill had been further extended to the north-east, as indicated on the OS map published that year. The OS map published in 1905 labels the building as `Flour Mills'. In the 1930s the mill was converted to become the headquarters of Staverton Builders Ltd, a contracting firm established in 1929 by Leonard Elmhirst, owner of the nearby Dartington Hall Estate. Its first managing director was AE Malbon, former general manager to Welwyn Garden City, who served until 1957. Staverton Builders Ltd was the contractor on most buildings at the Dartington Estate, and grew to be one of the largest building contractors in the South West. It is best known for its involvement in introducing modernist architecture in the region.
Staverton Builders Ltd was sold by the Dartington Estate in 1976, and in the following decades Staverton Mill stood empty until its conversion into eight flats in the early C21.
SOURCES: Ordnance Survey Map, 1st edition, 1887
Ordnance Survey Map, 2nd edition, 1905
Dartington Archives, Staverton Builders Ltd 1930-1980, C/ST, High Cross House, Dartington, South Devon, UK
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Nos 1-8 Staverton Mill, a former water-driven corn mill is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: the materials and external treatment of the elevations of this relatively early industrial building are of good quality, and make a strong architectural statement in this otherwise rural area.
* Historic Interest: it illustrates and reflects the growth of the industrial processing of corn and of arable farming practices in the area during the C18 and C19. Additionally, from the 1930s the mill was used as offices by Staverton Buildings Ltd, set up by the Dartington Estate, who are well know for introducing modernist architecture to the region.
* Group Value: it forms an interesting and important group with Staverton Bridge which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and listed at Grade I.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.