If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of the Holy Trinity (including Tower)
Date Listed: 7 June 1973
Date Delisted: 30 November 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 101802
OS Grid Reference: SZ0917791418
OS Grid Coordinates: 409177, 91418
Latitude/Longitude: 50.7223, -1.8713
The following building shall be deleted:-
20/65 OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD
Church of the Holy Trinity
1. OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD
5l86 (North Side)
Church of the Holy Trinity
SZ 0991 20/65 7.6.73.
Disused since June 1973, 1868-9, Cory and Ferguson (of Carlisle), tower 1878.
Italian Romanesque of dignified and impressive character: red brick, vitrified
blue brick bands emphasising plinths and connecting alternating red and blue
voussoirs of windows, roofs of patterned tiles. South-west campanile, almost
detached, 5 storeys: battered plinth with south doorway of 4 orders, 2 of red
terracotta, 2 of red brick, foliage capitals and arabesque tympanum of stone,
2nd stage of triple round-arched slit windows, 3rd of circular medallion enclosed
in canted angle-set bricks, 4th of paired windows on stone columns, 5th (belfry)
of tall triple windows on coupled stone columns, saddleback roof removed 1956-7.
Semi-circular turret to west with stairs expressed spiral pattern of blue brick.
Connected to church by lean-to western narthex with elaborate paired windows
with enriched columns of buff terracotta, similar windows to apsidal conical-roofed
baptistry. Flat pilaster strips to each bay, cornice of angle-set bricks. Big
wheel window in west gable of nave, aisles have 3 round-arched windows to each
bay between pilaster strips, with cornice of angle-set bricks. Clerestory of
circular windows framed by canted angle-set brick, eaves cornice of angle-set
bricks. Transept gables have cusped circular window over 3 round-arched. South-east
porch, hip-roofed, gabled entrance with stone tympanum. Apse with 7 round-arched
windows over banded drum, arched Lombard frieze on stone corbels and moulded
brick parapet. North-east organ chamber with steep hipped roof crowned by cross
and finial, gabled porch to vestries, connected to Church Hall of 1908 (also
round-arched but undistinguished). Narthex interior with flat panelled ceiling
between banded red-and-blue arches, tower porch vaulted by stone ribs, with herringbone
red-and-buff tympana to walls and doorway, baptistery apse with open timber ribs,
all windows with similar elaborate terracotta to exterior. Nave west wall has
3 Greco-Egyptian entrance, round-arched within rectangular frame with cresting,
foliage patterns above painted directly on brick. 4-bay nave arcades with Corinthian
columns on foliated bases and banded round arches, coupled columns to eastern
arcade responds. Walls of grey-buff brick with red bands, pilaster strips in
spandrels supporting medallions with notched edges, clerestory circular windows
embraced by banded arches. Aisles windows connected by inner arches into triplets,
aisle walls have projecting red bands. 2-bay transept arcade with tall arches,
angel corbels on square piers, clerestory arcade breaking over main arch, with
6 of 10 arches open, rest blind. 3 arched on coupled columns to organ chamber
at high level east of north transept. Nave and chancel roofs barrel-vaulted in
tim mber, with diagonal boarding, between stone arches with metal rosettes on
soffits, supported on short wall shafts with foliage capitals and corbels. Apse
windows banded, with painted inscription on frieze over, polychrome marble walls
below sill level, with inset Creed and Commandments panel painted on metal; encaustic
tile floor, carved stalls. Reredos of 1910 now in St Swithun's, Gervis Road.
Pulpit polygonal, pink and black marble, on stone ribbed coving to base. Font
(now in north aisle) circular, on green marble columns with foliage capitals.
Grisaille patterned glass in most windows, those in narthex originally in apse
(1872); present apse glass by A K Nicholson, 1923. North transept window has
Darwin's ship The Beagle, in memory of Admiral Sir B J Sullivan. Chancel screen,
gilt metal on alabaster base, probably 1910. South transept altar and parclose,
elaborate, by W H R Blacking, 1931. Good glass in south-east porch (Faith, Hope,
Charity) probably by Wooldridge for Powells, circa 1875.
Listing NGR: SZ0917791418
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.