British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Tudhoe Hall Farm and Tudhoe Hall, Spennymoor

Description: Tudhoe Hall Farm and Tudhoe Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 30 March 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 112254

OS Grid Reference: NZ2584435636
OS Grid Coordinates: 425844, 535636
Latitude/Longitude: 54.7151, -1.6003

Location: St Charles Road, Spennymoor, Durham DL16 6LH

Locality: Spennymoor
County: Durham
Country: England
Postcode: DL16 6LH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(South side)
Tudhoe Village

2/48 (inset) Nos. 22 and 24
30/3/51 (Tudhoe Hall Farm
and Tudhoe Hall)

House, later subdivided into 3, now 2 separate houses. Early C17, probably
incorporating earlier fabric, with late C17 and early C18 and C19 alterations
and additions. Tudhoe Hall being restored at time of survey. Thinly-rendered
sandstone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone
gable copings. T-plan with east addition. Elevation to garden 2 storeys, 6
bays. Half-glazed door, under flat stone lintel, at left of third bay;
similar lintels over C20 windows in first bay and on first floor in second
bay, and to sashes with glazing bars in other bays, some late C19, some with 6
over 9 panes and one with 12 panes. Blocked stone-mullioned 2-light window
high in ground floor of second bay. Roof has gable copings at ends and
centre, the west end at left with plain kneeler, the others with cyma-moulded
kneelers. Ridge chimneys at centre and at right end. Left return shows
corners extended to align with external stack, and the whole raised in early
C18. Old wood lintels on each floor flank stack; openings beneath are blocked,
and of unknown function. Rear elevation shows gabled porch to No. 22 at east;
long rear wing of No. 24 in second bay from west. Irregular fenestration to
No. 22 includes small 8-pane sash lighting stair and old brick blocking to
first-floor window in bay adjacent to wing. No. 24 has chamfered stone-
mullioned windows, some renewed, in wing and in westernmost bay.

Rear wing raised and extended probably early C18; small 2-light stone-mullioned
stair windows, one with mullions removed, adjacent to main range; larger
chamfered mullioned 2- and 3-light windows, renewed; old boarded door with
eroded deeply-moulded surround and high corniced top panel, on east next to
stair bay; plainer door on west giving access to stairs is probably a C19
insertion. Stone-mullioned 2-light cellar window to left of this door. Small
chamfered windows in gable peak flank massive stepped external chimney stack
on end of rear wing. All gable copings at rear rest on cyma-moulded kneelers.

Interior: west bay of main range and all rear wing are No. 24. In the main
range ground floor a wide, stucco-decorated early C17 beam has strapwork and
simple flower patterns, the background pecked; cyma-moulded cornice against
this beam has been restored and copied to continue round room. Open-well
closed-string stair of third quarter C17 has flat handrail with sloping
sides, the top profile continuing across square panelled newels with simple
pyramid drops; fat turned balusters; panelled string and handrail; panelled
risers to most shallow steps; lower steps renewed. Balusters oak, other parts
softwood. Ground-floor room in rear wing has cyma-stop-chamfered joists
and beams; fire beam to altered fireplace with recess at one side probably
former cupboard. Room above has flat-arched wide brick lintel to fireplace
inserted in wider elliptical-arched stone opening with eroded stops to
chamfered surround.

No. 22, entirely on front range, with 2 bays of earlier build and the whole
second build, has early C19 dogleg stair with narrow ramped handrail on stick
balusters and turned newels. Many 6-panel doors; one C17 door with 8 flat
panels. First-floor room in first bay of second build entirely panelled,
with moulded frames which formerly held painted canvas, supposedly bearing
pictures of fruit and flowers and figures, including a parson in shovel hat,
hunting. Above west door of this room, in line with chimney, the panelling
can be removed to reveal what is said to have been a priest's hole; a recusant
family lived here in the C17.

Roof of main range has elbowed upper-cruck trusses with short saddles and
altered ridge; 2 levels of tusked purlins. West truss truncated and replaced
with A-truss, of which details not clearly seen. One cruck protrudes into
wing stair well, suggesting stair is an insertion contemporary with other
alterations to rear wing. Roof of rear wing also has elbowed crucks, with
2 levels of trenched tusked purlins; carpenters' marks incised, medium size,
with X and V prefixed for each level of purlins.

Historical note: said to have been the home of the Gubyons, of which Hugh
in 1279 was Lord of Tudhoe, and was also Sheriff and Keeper of Newcastle upon

Source: H.C. Surtees, The History of the Parishes of Tudhoe and Sunnybrow,
(Mainsforth), 1925.

Listing NGR: NZ2584435636

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.