If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Faulkbourne Hall, Faulkbourne

Description: Faulkbourne Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 2 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 115379

OS Grid Reference: TL8026816434
OS Grid Coordinates: 580268, 216434
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8175, 0.6140

Location: Faulkbourne, Essex CM8 1SP

Locality: Faulkbourne
Local Authority: Braintree District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CM8 1SP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Faulkbourne, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL 81 NW FAULKBOURNE

3/31 (14/246) Faulkbourne Hall
2.5.53

GV I

Mansion. C15, altered and extended in C17 and C19. Red brick mainly in English
bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Plan in RCHM. Hall range aligned
NE-SW with crosswing at NE end, 1439-49. Range to NW added 1449-94, with
square tower at N corner and stair turret at its E. corner. Wing to SE of
crosswing added c.1693. C19 extensions in S angle, completing an approximately
rectangular plan. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. The SW elevation (the present
entrance elevation) includes the C19 S extension and the old but remodelled
front of the main block. This is of symmetrical design, the main wall being of
2 bays divided by a C19 2-storey porch and flanked by two 4-sided turrets; the
NW turret retains original C15 brickwork on its northern faces, but the southern
faces have been partly rebuilt with later brick and have a moulded string
course. The SE turret is of similar design, but the brickwork is in Flemish
bond with black headers. The brickwork of the wain wall is C19. The whole
elevation has a brick corbel-table like that of the NW elevation (q.v.), but
only that on the N and part of the W faces is original. Both turrets have
crenellated parapets and octagonal crocketed spires of brick, probably C17. In
the NW face of the NW turret are 2 of the original windows, each of a small
single light, blocked, with moulded jambs, square head and moulded label. On
the NW side of the C19 porch is a lead rainwater head inscribed B
E E
1666
The NW elevation has its main wall divided by a 2-storeyed bay window, flanked
on the SW by the turret described above, and on the NE by the great tower. The
SW part of the main wall has a moulded string course between the 2 storeys,
partly restored, and the whole elevation is crowned by a crenellated parapet.
Below it is a corbel-table of cinquefoiled arches with trefoiled spandrels of
moulded brick. The NE wall has in the upper storey an original late C15 oriel
window, supported on 5 tapering and moulded brick corbels representing
fan-vaulting, with moulded pendants; the window is of 4 square-headed lights
with brick transoms and mullions; on either side of it is a blocked window; the
other windows in the main wall are C19 restorations. The semi-octagonal bay
window in the middle of the front has on the ground floor, in each face an
original square-headed window, the easternmost altered to a doorway, the others
widened by partly cutting away the moulding of the jambs. On the first floor
are 3 similar but unaltered windows with transoms under a single label, as are
the 3 middle lights below. On the main wall NE of the bay window is a rainwater
head with the date 1637 and the arm of Bullock. The great N tower is of 4
storeys including the basement. At the N and W angles are diagonal buttresses
of 3 stages which carry octagonal turrets. Against the SW wall of the tower,
above the main block, is a C16 bay, now inaccessible, probably intended to
contain a stair, with a quatrefoil piercing in its lilt face. The merlons of the
parapet are pierced with cross loops. In the middle of the NW side of the tower
is a projecting chimney stack, corbelled out approx. 2 metres above ground
level, with 3 truncated octagonal shafts. Below it are traces of a blocked
window to the basement. The ground floor has 2 windows in each of the N walls,
and one in the SW walls, and the first floor has one window in each wall; these
are of 2 lights with transoms and moulded labels, partly restored. The second
floor has a window in each wall of one light with a label. The NE elevation
consists of 3 parts, the great tower, the crosswing of the original building,
and the late C17 SE wing. At the E angle of the tower is an octagonal
stair-turret which rises above the top of the tower and has a similar
crenellated parapet and corbel-table. At each stage there is a square light,
the top one retaining a quatrefoil, the others altered. The NE parapet has the
stump of a diagonal pinnacle. The next part, SE of the tower, is of 3 storeys
and is flanked by 2 bay windows of full height. The 2 lower storeys are of
early C15 brickwork, somewhat larger than those of the NW elevation. The third
storey is a late C17 addition or rebuild. The original first-floor level is
marked by a moulded string-course. The northern bay window is semi-hexagonal,
and has at the angles round shafts of cut brick with moulded bases. In the
middle and SE faces of the ground floor are original windows, the SE window
blocked, the middle window of two 4-centred lights under a 3-centred head.
The second storey of the bay window has in each face a tall early C18 sash
window cutting through the original string-course. The third storey has C17
casements with high transoms. The space between the NE main wall and the stair
turret has been filled in; the closing wall has an altered window with a
3-centred head, and 2 late C17 transomed casements, restored. The main wall
between the bay windows has 3 late C17 casements and one early C18 sash. The
southern bay window is semi-octagonal, of greater projection than the northern
bay, with low buttresses at the outer angles which are original or early. In
each of the 3 outer faces of the ground floor is an original window. The middle
window is of two 4-centred lights, restored, under a 3-centred head, and the
side windows of single lights with 3-centred heads. The 2 upper storeys have
late C17 transomed casements, the lower ones set in original square-headed
openings with moulded jambs and heads. The late C17 SE wing is of 3 storeys
divided by moulded string-courses, and has on this elevation 2 feature gables.
The first storey has 2 late C17 casements, one blocked, and the third storey has
2 more, open. The second storey has 5 early C18 sashes and one blocked
aperture. The SE end of this wing is of red stretchers and black headers in
Flemish bond, with the same string-course, and a crow-stepped gable. On the
second floor is an early C18 sash, and on the third floor a late C17 casement.
On the SW side of this wing is a late C17 4-plank door with 2 lights over, now
within a C19 arcade, and at the NW end of the arcade is a re-sited C17 door with
applied diamonds, escutcheon plate and drop-handle. Above the C19 arcade is a
late C17 casement on the first floor, and 2 on the third floor. On the first
floor of the SE wall of the main building is an early C18 sash with crown glass.
The dining-room (7 on plan) has late C15 transverse moulded beams. At the NE
end of it a passage has been partitioned off, with late C16 oak panelling on one
side and early C17 oak panelling on the other. The passage ends in the NW bay
window, which has an elaborate vault with moulded brick ribs and liernes, with
stone or plaster shields at the intersections. The stair-turret at the E corner
of the great tower has brick winding steps and newel; in the outer wall is a
recessed round handrail of moulded brick; at the basement is a doorway with
4-centred head. The kitchen (3 on plan) retains the original early C15 timber
framed SW wall and part of that on the SE. The SW wall is of 3 bays with
moulded wallposts, and has an original doorway with moulded frame and heavy
6-panel door. Above this is a late C16 window of 5 lights with moulded jambs
and mullions, and iron saddle bars. In the SE wall is a similar window of 3
lights, and below it a recess, possibly a former doorway. The main staircase
inserted c.1640 in the middle of the original building (2 on plan) has a square
well, moulded closed string and rail, square panelled newels with restored caps,
and heavy turned and square balusters. The upper storey of the bay window in
the NW elevation has a vaulted ceiling similar to that on the ground floor, and
is entered through an C18 partition closing the original brick archway, which
has a 4-centred head. Several of the rooms in the upper and attic storeys have
early doors of wedge-shaped planks on battens. In the vaulted cellar of the
great tower, in the W wall, is a 4-centred archway and recess, which possibly
opened into a former staircase. In the S wall is a pointed recess, possibly a
former doorway. The SE stair turret is entered by a doorway with a 4-centred
arch; on this floor in the NW wall is a brick fireplace with 4-centred head.
RCHM 3.


Listing NGR: TL8026816434

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.