British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Parish Church of St Germanus, Faulkbourne

Description: Parish Church of St Germanus

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 December 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 115388

OS Grid Reference: TL8003016573
OS Grid Coordinates: 580030, 216573
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8188, 0.6106

Location: Faulkbourne, Essex CM8 1SJ

Locality: Faulkbourne
Local Authority: Braintree District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CM8 1SJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Faulkbourne, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


3/40 Parish Church of St.


Parish church. Mainly late C12, with C13 alterations, restored in C19. Walls
of flint rubble and some Roman brick, mainly plastered, with dressings of
Barnack stone, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. S porch and vestry of red
brick in Flemish bond. Timber framed bell-turret and spire, clad with shingles.
Aligned NE-SW, Nave with slightly narrower Chancel, extended approx. 2 metres to
NE in late C13. Early C18 S porch, C19 S vestry. In both side walls of the
Chancel the original quoins of Barnack stone are present to a height of one
metre, rebuilt above. The E end has diagonal buttresses with string courses.
The E window, late C13 and partly restored, is of 3 pointed lights under a
2-centred head, with moulded external and internal labels and headstops; the NE
external headstop is defaced. In the centre of the N wall is a C12 window of
one round-headed light, partly restored, with widely splayed jambs. In the S
wall are 2 windows; the eastern, late C13 and partly restored, is of 2 pointed
lights under a 2-centred head; the western window is a 'low-side' of the first
half of the C14, much restored, of one trefoiled and transomed light under a
2-centred head. Between these windows is the original C12 doorway, with
semi-circular arch springing from chamfered abaci. This doorway and the western
window are enclosed by the C19 vestry. There is no Chancel arch. The Nave has
in the N wall 3 windows; the easternmost is of c.1340, restored, of 2 trefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil under a 2-centred head; the other windows are original,
of single round-headed lights with widely splayed jambs. Between them is the N
doorway, early C13, with square head on shouldered jambs, blocked with C18
brick. In the S wall are 2 windows; the eastern is early C15, of brick, partly
restored; it is of 3 lights with 4-centred heads with moulded mullions and
vertical tracery in a square head, with moulded label; the western window is
original, similar to those in the N wall. W of this is the original S doorway,
set in a gabled projection, with a semi-circular arch of 2 orders, the outer
roll-moulded and supported on square shafts with chamfered arrises. The
capitals have a simple cross-shaped ornament in low relief and the bases
resemble inverted capitals; the base of the E shaft has a round abacus with
cable ornament; the other abaci are square and plain. The door leaf is C14/C15,
with hollow moulded durns forming a 2-centred head, and 4 humped planks of
irregular widths, the joints covered by hollow-moulded fillets, on a simple
rivetted portcullis frame, with 3 rear strap-hinges, drop-handle, and later
stock lock; the bottom rail has been replaced. The outside has a graffito TN
1744. In the W wall are 5 windows arranged in 2 tiers. The middle upper window
is a single round-headed light flanked by circular lights, restored; the lower
windows are C19. The roof of the Nave is 7-canted, originally in 3 bays
(excluding the bell-turret), but the western tiebeam has been severed; the
eastern tiebeam is inside the Chancel. Octagonal crownposts with unusual arched
stops are mounted on the remaining tiebeams, with thin axial braces to the
collar-purlin. The soffits of the rafters, collars and soulaces have nail
holes, and were formerly plastered. The roof timbers then exposed are lightly
charred; the crownposts appear to be inserted. The bell-turret at the W end of
the nave is supported on 2 trusses, of which the western is supported on the W
wall. The eastern is supported on a N post with chamfered attached shaft;
externally a short length of timber hangs from the end of the tiebeam,
apparently part of a former external post. The S post is mounted on a frame
enclosing the S doorway, with solid knees at the angles. There are chamfered
arched braces below the E tiebeam, and arched braces above it. Straight
diagonal braces at the front and sides of the turret are later insertions,
lapped and nailed. The date of the original structure is probably C14/C15;
spire not examined. Early C18 S porch of red brick in Flemish bond, with black
headers mainly on E side. Segmental outer arch, crow-stepped gable. Fittings.
There are 2 bells, the second by Robert Burford, c.1400, inscribed 'Sancta
Katerina Ora Pro Nobis'. The font is octagonal with concave sides, moulded
lower edge and moulded base, C15. In the Chancel there are 3 brasses: (1) in
the NE corner, partly covered, with 2 shields and indent for inscription plate,
early C16 (2) to Henry Fortescue, Esquire of the Body to Queen Elizabeth, 1576,
figure in full armour with 3 groups of 10 children below, marginal inscription
and 4 shields of arms (3) to Mary, successively wife of Sir Edward Darrell,
Philip Maunsell and Henry Fortescue, 1598, figure of lady with inscription plate
and 4 shields of arms. Against the N wall of the Chancel there is the upper
part of a coffin lid, C13, with chamfered edges and cross in low relief, and 4
super-imposed circles; and against the S wall is another coffin lid or tomb-lid
of Purbeck marble with gabled head and carved figure of a knight with
flat-topped helm, kite-shaped shield and long surcoat, much eroded and fractured
across the middle, C13. In the Chancel there is a floor slab to Elizabeth, wife
of Mordant Cracherode, 1693, with shield of arms. On the wall there are
monuments (1) to Sir Edward Bullock, 1644, panel of black marble with white
marble architrave, surmounted by a cartouche of arms (2) to John Bullock, 1809,
and his wife Elizabeth, 1793, female figure and double portrait medallion in low
relief, in white marble, backed by black marble with shield of arms, in the
Neo-Greek style. On the S wall of the Chancel there is a monument to John
Bullock, 1711, and his widow Hannah Maria, 1759, sculpture of a seated female
figure holding a ring, with inscribed oval shield, flanked by urns, backed by a
grey marble obelisk surmounted by a painted shield of arms, by Peter
Scheemakers. On the N wall of the Nave there are mounuments (1) to Josiah
Bullock, 1751, and his widow Hannah, 1783, white marble tablet with Corinthian
pilasters, open segmental pediment, cherubs' heads and 2 painted shields of arms
(2) to John Harrison, rector, 1797, his wife Elizabeth (Allen), 1750, and 3
children, marble tablet. On the S wall of the Nave there are monuments (1) to
the Reverend Dr. Richard Bullock, 1754, and Whalley Bullock, 1767, and (2) to
the Reverend Robert Parkinson, 1791, oval marble tablet. On the W wall there is
a monument to Elizabeth, widow of the Reverend Foote Gower, 1797, white and grey
marble tablet with draped lamp. In the NE window of the Nave there is C14
glass, spire of canopy with foliated border and shield of arms. In the Chancel
there are 5 bench-ends and 2 buttressed fronts, one with linenfold panels, and 3
carved popey-heads, early C16, made up with modern work. On the spire there is a
wrought-iron weather-vane pierced with date 1701. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TL8003016573

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.