British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Parish Church of All Saints, Terling

Description: Parish Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 13 March 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 115464

OS Grid Reference: TL7731614817
OS Grid Coordinates: 577316, 214817
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8039, 0.5704

Location: Church Road, Terling, Essex CM3 2PQ

Locality: Terling
Local Authority: Braintree District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CM3 2PQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Terling, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(south-east side)

11/116 Parish Church of All


Parish church. C13-C15, with early C18 tower, restored in C19. Flint rubble
with dressings of limestone and clunch, the Chancel roughcast externally, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles; tower of red brick in Flemish bond with limestone
dressings, spire shingled. Chancel and E wall of the W tower, early C13. S
arcade, S aisle, and S porch, C15. W tower 1732. N aisle, N porch and N vault,
C19. The Chancel has a mainly C19 E window. In the N wall are 2 early C14
windows with 2-centred heads. Y-tracery and moulded labels, the eastern windows
much restored; further E is a C13 lancet, blocked and visible externally.
Between the 2 C14 doorways is a C19 doorway to the N vault. In the S wall are 2
windows similar to those in the N wall, much restored. The Chancel arch is C19;
above it is a small window with segmental head, plastered and visible only from
the E. The roof of the Chancel is of 17 couples with collars, soulaces and
ashlar-pieces, all tenoned, C13/C14. The Nave has a C19 N arcade of 4 bays.
The S arcade is of 4 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 wave-moulded orders, the
octagonal piers have concave faces and moulded capitals and bases; the responds
have attached half-columns. The roof of the Nave is similar to that of the
Chancel, but boarded to the soffit in the C19. The early C19 vault to the N of
the Chancel is of red brick with limestone dressings; the plinth in English
bond, a stone string course, and Flemish bond above. The N gable has a
trefoiled stone vent and a blank stone panel above. Each side has a blank
recess with 2-centred Gothick head of gauged brick. Brick diagonal buttresses.
The S aisle was constructed in the C15, much restored in 1857, and all visible
detail is C19. The W tower comprises a C13 E wall of stone rubble, and the
remainder built in 1732. The doorway in the E wall has jambs and 2-centred arch
of 3 moulded orders. The 2-fold doors are of lapped planks of wedge-section,
one plank of each having an ornamented perforation, on restored rear frames and
hinges, with a wrought iron escutcheon plate and twisted drop-handle, of
uncertain date. Above the doorway on the W side is a recess with chamfered
jambs and 2-centred arch. In the bell-chamber is a window with 2-centred head
and label, C13, blocked on the W side. The other 3 sides of the W tower, built
in 1732, are of brick with projecting alternate quoins of stone, in 3 stages,
with 3 stone bands, and a brick band below the eaves. In the W wall is a
round-arched doorway with alternating quoins, projecting keystone, plain
overlight, and a pair of fielded 3-panelled pine doors, and above it a scrolled
and pedimented plaque inscribed 'Spatio Vetusto Fessa - Ruinam dedi - Duabusq
elapsis Messibus - Tertia Johanne Scott et - Daniele Stammers - Aedibus -
Spectatior Surrexi - Antonio Goud Latomo: Anno Sal: Humanae 1732'. In the
second stage is a round-headed window with alternating quoins, and above it a
clockface on a scrolled panel. In the third stage or bell-chamber is a similar
window, louvred. In the N side of the first stage, and the N and S sides of the
second stage, are blank windows with straight stone jambs, flat heads and
keystones; in the last is a sundial with arched head, Greek inscription and
scrolled brackets. In the N and S sides of the bell-chamber are windows similar
to that in the W side. Inside the tower, in the N wall, are 5 mortar panels
inscribed by parishioners (who may be identified in the register), some in
doggerel verse, and a stone panel inscribed by 2 more; and in the W wall over
the doorway is a panel with Greek inscription. A straight stair with open
treads, moulded string, plain post and handrail rises to the second stage. This
floor is of re-used oak joists of horizontal section. The spire is broached,
essentially of original construction, but repaired in 1945 after damage by
lightning. The early C15 S porch is timber-framed, with C19 base walls of stone
rubble and limestone dressings 1.50 metres high. It is in one bay, with an
elaborate crownpost roof. In each side are continuous windows of 6 lights with
moulded mullions and cinquefoiled tracery. The outer doorway has hollow-moulded
jambs and 4-centred arch, the spandrels carved with quatrefoils and mouchettes.
To each side of it is a single light with cinquefoiled tracery. The outer
tiebeam is moulded and crenellated, much weathered. In the king stud is a
trefoiled niche. The original bargeboards are cusped and carved with
quatrefoils; the gable is infilled with rebated boards. The wallplates are
moulded; the roof has curved soulaces to every rafter couple, a moulded inner
tiebeam, moulded axial braces, moulded inner crownpost and a moulded
collar-purlin. This porch, like the S aisle, was probably built by John
Rochester, who died in 1444 (source below, in connection with the Rochester
brasses). Fittings. There are 8 bells, the third by Miles Graye, 1623, and a
sanctus. In the E wall of the S aisle are 2 brasses (1) of William Rochester,
1558, and Elizabeth his wife, 1556, with kneeling figures of man in civil dress,
wife, 6 sons and 4 daughters, and 2 shields of arms with some original colour,
set in tablet of Purbeck marble with 2 round arches and moulded rim (2) of John
Rochester, 1584, with inscription, kneeling figures of man in civil dress, 2
wives, 4 sons and 8 daughters, and 3 shields of arms with some original colour,
set in tablet of Purbeck marble with moulded rim. In the floor of the S aisle
are 2 large brasses, of a man in early Tudor armour with a slit mail skirt, and
a woman in pedimental head-dress, with 2 shields of arms and 2 indents for
mouth-scrolls, believed to be of Robert Rochester, 1508, and his wife Elizabeth
(Nancy Briggs, The Rochester brasses in the south aisle of Terling Church,
Essex, Trans. Monumental Brass Society, IX, part VIII, December 1961, 429-37).
The communion rail is C18, with moulded rail and sill and turned and twisted
balusters. The font has an octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble, each face with 2
shallow sunk and pointed panels, early C13, and C19 stem and shafts. On the
jambs of the W doorway are C15 graffiti, of 2 shields and an illegible
black-letter inscription. In the Nave are floor-slabs (1) to Charles Phillips,
vicar of the parish, 1801 (2) to William Goodday, vicar of the parish, 1848, and
other members of his family. On the S wall of the S aisle is a tablet to Philip
Stotherd, 1739, and Frances his wife, with fluted pilasters, moulded architrave
and scrolled brackets. In the tower, clock by Jonathan Draper, 1793, face
1812. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7731614817

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.