British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Parish Church of St Andrew, Colne Engaine

Description: Parish Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 June 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 115850

OS Grid Reference: TL8502630365
OS Grid Coordinates: 585026, 230365
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9410, 0.6904

Location: 3 Church Street, Colne Engaine, Essex CO6 2EP

Locality: Colne Engaine
Local Authority: Braintree District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO6 2EP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Colne Engaine, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


7/1 Parish Church of St.
21.6.62 Andrew


Parish church. C12- early C16, restored in 1872 by G. Swansborough. Flint and
stone rubble containing Roman brick and tile, and red brick in English bond,
with dressings of Barnack and other limestone, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. Nave early C12, Chancel C13, W tower C14/15, upper part rebuilt in brick
in early C16, S porch C15, altered in early C16, N vestry and organ-chamber
1872. The Chancel has a C19 E window. In the N wall are traces of the tile
relieving arch, visible externally, of a blocked C13 lancet window plastered
internally; further W is a C14 'low side' window of one light with moulded jambs
and 2-centred head, trefoiled ogee tracery and one iron bolt-socket. Between
them is a C19 opening to the organ-chamber. In the S wall are 2 windows: the
eastern is early C14, of 2 septfoiled lights with tracery with richly moulded
jambs, mullion and 2-centred arch; the sill is carried down to form a seat, the
splays stopped with trefoiled ogee heads. The western window is an early C14
'low side' window similar to that opposite, but deeper, with 4 original iron
hinge pintles near the bottom. Between the windows is a C13 doorway with
chamfered jambs, 2-centred arch and moulded label, blocked. Above the doorway
are traces of a C13 relieving-arch similar to that in the N wall. The
chancel-arch was rebuilt in 1872. The Nave has W quoins of Roman brick,
irregularly alternated with limestone, and in the S wall are well-defined
bonding courses of Roman brick. In the N wall are 2 C19 windows. Between them
traces of a blocked C12 window defined in Roman brick are visible externally.
In the S wall are 2 windows, all C19 except the splays and moulded 2-centred
rear-arch of the eastern, C14. W of this window is a C12 window defined
externally with Roman brick, blocked internally, and indistinct traces of
another further W. To the W is the C14 S doorway with double-chamfered jambs
and moulded 2-centred arch; the doors are C19. The roof of the Nave is C14, in
4 equal bays, of crownpost construction, with moulded wallplates, wall-pieces,
arch-braces and straight tiebeams, square crownposts with moulded bases and
caps, 4-way rising braces, and long straight down-braces to the end tiebeams;
the rafters are plain and there are soulaces to every couple; the collar-purlin
is chamfered. The second truss from the E has 2 grotesque carved corbels, C14.
The W tower is of 3 stages, with a splayed stair-turret to the S, the lowest
stage of rubble, probably C14, the upper stages rebuilt in brick in the early
C16. The tower arch and W window are C19. The second stage has a chamfered
loop in the N and S walls. The bell-chamber has in each wall an early C16
window of two 4-centred lights with chamfered jambs and pierced spandrel in a
4-centred head with a moulded label. The buttresses have each a trefoil-headed
recessed panel at the level of the second stage. The crenellated parapet
projects on a trefoiled corbel-table, above which is a band of cusped ornament;
on the E side this band has a stone shield and De Vere molet. There are 4
crocketed octagonal pinnacles. The first floor is original, of chamfered joists
of horizontal section framed round a bellway. There is a scratch-dial on the
base of the stair-turret. The C15 S porch, originally timber framed, has been
built up in brick to wallplate level, with an ornamented brick gable outside the
original studded gable, in the early C16. The outer archway has richly moulded
jambs, 2-centred arch and label, all set in a projection with a crow-stepped
head surmounted by a niche with a moulded base and a 4-centred head. The side
walls have each a window of two 4-centred lights with a pierced spandrel. The
C15 roof is in 2 bays, of crownpost construction, with hollow-chamfered
wallplates, moulded covings, moulded tiebeams with step stops, arched braces,
moulded crownposts and plain axial bracing; the braces to the central tiebeam
are cut back at their bases, where the brick side windows have replaced the
appropriate posts. The cusped bargeboards, presumed to date from the original
build, are much decayed. In the Chancel is a piscina with moulded jambs and
trefoiled ogee head with carved spandrels, crocketed label and finial, and
octofoiled drain, C14. On the S respond of the chancel-arch is an early C16
brass to Agnes Hunt, widow, and her daughters Agnes, Alys and Elizabeth,
inscription only. There are 6 bells, the third by Miles Graye, 1624, the sixth
dated 1760 and inscribed 'Tho. Gardiner did me cast - I will seng his prais to
the last'. On the S walL of the Chancel is a white marble tablet to Philip
Hills, 1830, with lamp and swag on a black marble ground. On the N wall of the
Nave are white and black marble tablets (1) to Thomas Sewell, 1821, and his
widow Mary, 1824, with lamp and guttae, (2) to Rev. James Boyer, 1814, and his
widow Catherine, 1824. On the S wall of the nave are oval white marble plaques
on black marble grounds to Arthur William Trollope, 1768, and Rev. John
Greenwood, 1863. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8502630365

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.