Church of St Mary the Virgin, Harlow
Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 5 July 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 119461
OS Grid Reference: TL4640410881
OS Grid Coordinates: 546404, 210881
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7775, 0.1208
Location: The Gowers, Harlow, Essex CM20 2JP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
5216 FIRST AVENUE
Church of St Mary
the Virgin, Latton
TL 41 SE 2/8 5.7.50
Former Parish Church. West tower, nave and chancel, probably built during
the C12. North chapel added in Circa 1470, and a south porch of brick
and timber during the C16. West tower of brick and coarsed stones with
embattled parapet short spire and vane; having a stair-turret at its south-east.
South porch red brick walls to sill-height with a timber structure and
roof with cusped verge-boards. The nave has 3 south windows of which 2
at the west, are of the C15 and C16. The church has a C15 east window,
and its north chapel has a window in its north-west wall, of 2 cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with label and good head-stops. The north chapel
retained much original colour and gilding of its timber roof when examined
by: RCHM (RCHM 2).
Listing NGR: TL4640410881
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.