Prittlewell Priory, Southend-on-Sea
Description: Prittlewell Priory
Date Listed: 23 November 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 122917
OS Grid Reference: TQ8764587336
OS Grid Coordinates: 587645, 187336
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5537, 0.7053
Location: Rochford, Essex SS2 6NB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
This building is also a scheduled monument.
TQ 88 NE 2/16 23.11.51
Prittlewell Priory was founded in the C11-C12 by the Cluniac Order as a cell to
the Priory of St Pancras at Lewes. It was one of the lesser monasteries housing
not more than 18 monks. It survived some 400 years before it was dissolved in
1536 when much of the building was destroyed. The remaining house and foundations
stand in a park of about 45 acres presented to the town in 1917. The Refectory
and Priory building were restored by the Corporation in 1920-21. The Refectory
dates from the C12 and the south and west ranges, including the Priors Chamber and
Cellars dates from the C15. It was much altered in the C18 particularly on the
west side. Indications of the cloister can be seen on the north wall of the Refectory
and the cloister garth is still retained as an open garden. The Refectory was restored
and partly rebuilt on the original foundations in the early C20. The north wall
has much of the original work and there is a C12 doorway with Chevron and dog tooth
ornamentation. The interior has a fine early C15 crown-post roof. The windows
are C20 restorations. Roof tiled. The west range has 4 C18 gables on the west
front. The north end has exposed timber-framing on the 1st storey on the east and
west fronts. On the east front the ground storey is built up in brick. The windows
on the 1st storey are mullioned and transomed casements with lattice leaded lights.
The south front has 4 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain
reveals. Roof tiled, hipped. The interior has 2 band vaulted chambers on the
ground storey and the Priors Chamber on the 1st storey has a fine C15 king post
open roof and a Cl6 fireplace. AM.
Listing NGR: TQ8764587336
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.