If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 27 August 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 123016
OS Grid Reference: TQ8081490925
OS Grid Coordinates: 580814, 190925
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5882, 0.6087
Explore more of the area around Rayleigh, Essex at Explore Britain.
RAYLEIGH CHURCH STREET
7/71 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. C12 Chancel, C14/C15 west tower, Nave, north and south aisles
and north vestry. Circa 1517 south chapel and C16 south porch. C19 and C20
restorations and enlargement of north chapel. Ragstone rubble, flint and some
brick. Limestone and Roman brick dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. South
porch of red brick. East walls, gabled Chancel and north chapel, catslide roof
to north vestry, crenellated parapet to south chapel, band under. Buttresses to
south chapel and Chancel. Flint and stone chequerwork plinth to south chapel,
moulded plinth to Chancel and north chapel. 4 light cinquefoil windows under
square heads with labels to south chapel and Chancel, the latter with a small
trefoiled light over. 4 light 2 centre arched window with label to north
chapel and a small square chamfered 2 light window to north vestry, all C19/C20
or heavily restored. Blocked C15 segmental doorway to Chancel and a C19/C20
north vestry doorway. North walls. North vestry west return has a small
trefoiled 2 light window and a small rectangular light. 5 buttresses to Nave
and north aisle with windows between. That to east of 3 cinquefoil lights in a
3 centred head, the others, 5 cinquefoil lights in segmental pointed heads,
labels over. The western window is above the blocked 2 centre arched north
doorway. West return window of 2 cinquefoil. lights under a 2 centre arched
head, label over. West tower of 3 stages, crenellated with raised crenellated
stair turret to south west. Gargoyles to parapet band. Second stage band.
Moulded plinth with band over. All faces of bellchamber with 2 cinquefoiled
lights under square heads, labels over. North, south and west walls with a
trefoiled light under square head to second stage, west wall with a similar
window over. West window of 3 lights with vertical tracery over, 2 centre
arched head and label. The band of stone panels below this window formerly with
shields, including the De Vere arms. In the buttress to south of this band is
an ogee niche with label over. West doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centre arch under
square head and label. South walls. South aisle has 3 windows between 3
buttresses to east of south porch, the western of 3 trefoiled lights under
segmental head, the 2 eastern of 3 cinquefoil lights under segmental pointed
heads. 2 centre arched south doorway, of 2 orders, shafts with capitals and
bases, label over. West return window of 3 pointed lights in a square head.
Crenellated parapet, red brick band under. South chapel, 3 buttresses and two
3 cinquefoiled lights under square heads. South porch. Early C16 red brick.
Crenellated crow stepped parapet, trefoiled corbel table. Angle buttresses.
Chamfered outer archway, 4 centred head and label. Niche over with chamfered 4
centred head set in a square outer order. Side walls each have a 2 light window
in a square head with moulded label. Brick vaulted roof with chamfered diagonal
and wall ribs springing from moulded corbels in the angles. Seats to each wall.
Interior. Chancel. 2 arm crown post roof, moulded capitals and bases, possibly
a copy. C19/C20 panelled reredos, carved altar rail and carved choir stalls.
Square chamfered piscina to north wall. North and south walls with C15/C16
chamfered 4 centred arches. C15 Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders. Above the
Chancel arch to north is a square niche, possibly part of the rood screen walk.
C20 Chancel screen. Circa 1517 South chapel, south wall, recessed wall
monument the base with 3 cusped and traceried panels, 2 with shields, moulded
edge to top slab, rear wall has 5 traceried ogee niches with moulded pedastals,
remains of foliated cornice and 2 shields, square headed canopy with cusped and
panelled soffit and side shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Said to be the
tomb of Richard Alen, the chapel built by him over the grave of his father
William Alen. North chapel. Probably late C15 7 cant roof. C15 carved screen
from Runwell Church. C16 glass in east window. Circa 1500 piscina in south
wall, 3 centred head and round drain. Nave. C15 north and south arcades each
of 4 bays with 2 centred arches of 2 moulded orders, 4 attached shafts to
columns and moulded capitals and bases. Roof of 5 and a half bays with 5 tie
beams, 4 arm crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. Consecration crosses
on west wall flanking tower arch. Inscriptions to south aisle piers. Red and
yellow brick floor, other than to pew areas. C19 large octagonal stone font
with fleuron and roundel decoration, central stem with 4 attached shafts, square
base, wooden traceried pointed cover. C20 octagonal pulpit. Brass lectern.
North aisle. 2 doors to rood loft stairs, the lower has rebated jambs and 4
centred head, the upper has a re-used cusped and sub cusped head. C15 brasses
set in stone slab, Sir Thomas Barrington and his wife 1416 and 1420, man's head
missing. South aisle. Screen in memory of Lt. Chapman killed in action
2.12.1917 with carved figure of a soldier on battlefield. 2 shields to splay of
window east of south door. West tower. 2 centred tower arch of 2 continuous
chamfered orders. Moulded 2 centre arched doorway to stair turret, nailed 3
board door with strap hinges and lock plate. C17 gallery. Tie beam carved with
jewel decoration, hearts to spandrels on moulded wall posts. Royal arms on
north wall of Queen Anne before the Union. Medieva$dpg out chest with traces
of iron straps and hinges. Bell, on floor, mark of Robert Burford, said to be
early C15, moulded "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum", another old bell is still in
the tower made by Thomas Bullisdon and possible arabic numerals, 1508, motto.
Sancta Marguereta Ora Pro. There are 6 other bells, 2 recast 1790 and 2 dated
1897. The stone for the tower is believed to have come from Rayleigh Castle, a
licence was granted by Richard II in 1394 to the people of Rayleigh for the
carrying away of stone for repairs to church and building of a belfry. A
document of 1396 specifies the building of the tower. A Short History of
Rayleigh Parish Church. Rev. G.W. Hatch, Rector. Church Carpentry. C.A.
Hewett. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ8081490925
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.