Church of St Andrew, Ashingdon
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 123053
OS Grid Reference: TQ8658793601
OS Grid Coordinates: 586587, 193601
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6103, 0.6934
Location: Church Road, Ashingdon, Essex SS4 3HY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Ashingdon, Essex at Explore Britain.
ASHINGDON CHURCH ROAD
TQ 89 SE
6/1 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Mainly C14, but of possibly earlier origin, with some C16
brickwork; later and-C20 restorations. Said to be on the site of the Church
built by King Canute AD 1020 to commemorate, his victory over Edmund Ironside at
the Battle of Assandune AD 1016. C14 chancel and nave, C19 north vestry, C14 or
earlier west tower, C16 South Porch. Of ragstone and flint rubble with Roman
tile & septaria. C16 and C20 brick. Red plain tiled roofs, that to west -tower
hipped with gablets. Chancel:- East wall of C16 red brick with black diapering.
Angle buttresses. C19/C20 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, 2-centred arch and
label. North wall, centre and angle buttresses, western C16 red brick window of
two 4-centred lights, square head and label. South wall, buttressed at angle,
eastern C15 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square head and moulded label,
western C14 low side window with chamfered 2-centred arch. Nave:- North wall,
buttressed at angles. C14 windows of two 2-centre arched lights, 2-centred
head. The north vestry is outshot to west of this window and has a window of 2
cinquefoiled lights under a square head in the eastern wall and a similar single
light window in the western wall. South wall, red brick repairs to eastern end
of wall with a C20 timber 2-light window under a segmental head. Central
buttress with scratch dial. C14 south doorway with moulded jambs, 2-centred
arch and label, vertically boarded door with strap hinges. Early C16 timber
framed porch. Bargeboards and finial to gable. Of 2 bays, heavy arch braced
cambered tie beam, the braces each with 3 face pegs. Collars to each rafter
pair. Later through bracing to walls, chamfered wall posts and wall plates,
flat 3-centred outer archway, a restored king post with base struts to collars
above lintel, all resting on a C20 dwarf brick wall which supports timber side
benches. EHFR/AWC carved on gable. West tower:- Of 3 stages, buttressed to
second stage. North, west and south faces of bell chamber each with a window of
2 cinquefoiled lights, 2 centred heads and traces of labels much worn, small
blocked window to east face. Clock face to south wall with the words Edwardus
Rex VII in place of numerals, ADMCMX below. Band below clock. Small
rectangular window to ground floor of south face, moulded plinth. Interior:-
Chancel:- C16 roof of 2 plastered bays, chamfered arched braces to collars.
Moulded wall plates. Tie beam to western bay. Shields of arms to wall posts.
Stained glass to east, north and south west windows. Danish Flag, presented by
HRH Prince Georg of Demark in memory of his ancestor King Canute and of the
restoration of this Minster 1951. C20 stone floor throughout. Piscina C14,
chamfered 2-centred arch, drain slab cut back. C20 panelled reredos and dado.
Chancel arch removed except for north wall respond of trefoil plan with moulded
capital and base. Nave. C14/C15 seven cant cross quadrate crown post roof of 2
bays. The moulded tie beams supported by stop chamfered storey posts to north
wall, each with chamfered arched braces to tie beam. C14 north doorway, moulded
jambs, 2-centred arch and label. Piscina, north wall, chamfered and trefoiled
2-centred arch, octofoiled drain. 4 stained glass quarries to south window.
Oak diptych on cill of north wall window, said to be C18, of King Canute; left
panel driving back the waves, right panel laying his crown upon an altar, the
gift of Mr. H. Ryeclausen of Copenhagen. Royal Coat of Arms over north doorway
dated 1685 on back. C16 octagonal font, concave faces, moulded soffit, plain
stem and moulded base. Oval plaque on north wall of the Journey into Egypt.
Small doorway to West tower, chamfered 2-centred arch. Tower restored 1937.
Listing NGR: TQ8658793601
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.