British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Barling Magna

Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 123081

OS Grid Reference: TQ9345588326
OS Grid Coordinates: 593455, 188326
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5606, 0.7895

Location: 173 Little Wakering Road, Barling SS3 0JQ

Locality: Barling Magna
Local Authority: Rochford District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: SS3 0JQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Barling Magna, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 98 NW
12/38 Church of St. Mary the
27.7.59 Virgin (formerly listed
as Church of St Mary)
Parish Church. C12 Nave and Chancel. C15 extension to Chancel. Circa 1425 west
tower. South porch of C15/C16 origin rebuilt C19. C19 and C20 restorations.
Mainly mixed rubble walls. West Tower of coursed ragstone rubble. Red plain
tiled roofs, ornate ridge tiles and terracotta crosses to apices, shingled
octagonal spire. Chancel, buttress to south east angle and buttressed chimney
stack to south wall. East window C19 of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery
over, moulded 4-centred arch and label, north wall C12 restored round headed
window, original rear arch and splays, south wall C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled
lights, square head and label. Nave, north wall, buttress to east, restored C12
round headed window to west and far western window C15 of 2 cinquefoiled lights
square head and label. Below this window is a blocked opening with segmental
arch. South wall, 2 C19 windows of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights, quatrefoils
over, 2 centred arches and moulded labels with head stops. South door, partly
restored C14, moulded 2-centred arch, label with head stops. C19 gabled porch,
timber frame on rubble wall, pointed segmental archway, 2-centred arches to
sidelights. Return walls each with 5 trefoiled lights. West tower:- Of 3
stages, south eastern stair turret raised above crenellations, square plan base,
octagonal upper stages. Chequered flint flushwork to crenellations, moulded
band with gargoyles. Moulded bands to first and second stages. Angle
buttresses. Plinth. Each face of the bell chamber has a window of 2
cinquefoiled lights, square heads and moulded labels. Second stage small north,
south and west windows, cinquefoiled, square heads, moulded labels. First stage
west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery over, 2-centred head,
remains of label, flanking it are 4 niches, the upper pair with pointed heads,
the lower pair with cinquefoiled ogee arches under square heads and labels,
shields to spandrels. C20 statues in lower niches. Octagonal spire. West
doorway, 2-centred arch in a square head, worn label, shields to spandrels, C15
door of 2 folds, nailed overlapping battens, strap hinges. Flanking the doorway
are 2 square sunk panels, much worn each enclosing a shield, one for John
Wakering, Bishop of Norwich, (1416-1425) the other for Anne, Countess of
Stafford. Interior:- Chancel:- Roof of 7 cants. C19 coloured tiled floor. C19
stained glass windows. C15 piscina chamfered jambs, cinquefoiled head, restored
C13 projecting octofoil drain on moulded corbel. C19 moulded wood altar rails.
North wall, C12 round headed window with traces of painting. On east splay the
Nativity under an arch on west splay a figure under an arch ?C12. Below this
window is a C14 doorway, blocked with splays outwards, 2-centred arch of 2
moulded orders. Wall monument to Rev. Joseph Commins M.A. 1868. C19
choirstalls with wrought iron front panels. Chamfered segmental arch, blocked,
to south wall. Cassons Organ "The Positive'". By the south west window is a
board relating "Chancel restoration by St. Bartholomew's Hospital 1875".
Chancel arch, partly restored, 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders, original
moulded capitals and bases. Floor slab at foot of Chancel steps, Bradford Bury,
Gent of Wakering Hall 10 July 1675 aged 48 years. Nave:- Roof of 7 cants and 2
bays with 2 cambered tie beams supporting octagonal crown posts, roll moulded
capitals and bases, 5 pairs of rafters per bay. Stone octagonal pulpit, moulded
base and rim, trefoiled panels, moulded capitals and bases to angle shafts,
circular stem with scroll brackets, stone steps. C19/C20 stained glass to
windows. North wall rood loft stairs with lower and upper 2-centre arched
doorways, the end of the rood beam below upper doorway. Moulded 2-centred
blocked archway to north wall, ?C13 moulded capitals and bases to jamb shafts,
now used as a war memorial. White Ensign flag which once adorned The Cenotaph,
placed here 1931. In the east jamb of the south doorway is a stoup, funnel
shaped recess, circular bowl with moulded base and rim. C20 Font, heavy round
bowl, splayed to octagonal base, octagonal stem and base slab. West tower.
Tower arch, 2-centred of 2 chamfered orders, attached semi-octagonal shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. Leaning against the tower arch is a timber whipping
post with 2 iron arm bands and handcuffs. Painted board with coat of arms and
the names Francis Asplin and Wiliam Hatch, Churchwardens 1769. Stained glass to
west window. Stair turret doorway, C15 chamfered 2-centred arch, nailed boarded
door with strap hinges and scutcheon plate, said to be 2 more similar doorways
and doors one with a ring handle, in the tower. Said to be 3 bells all by John
Waylett 1707. Said to be a C15 locker in wall of stair turret. The Tower was
built by John Wakering of Barrow Hall, Bishop of Norwich 1416-1425 with help
from Anne Countess of Stafford, said to be as a thank offering for his safe
return from the Battle of Agincourt 1416. RCHM 1 (Little Wakering).

Listing NGR: TQ9345588326

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.