If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 123161
OS Grid Reference: TQ9260593059
OS Grid Coordinates: 592605, 193059
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6034, 0.7799
Explore more of the area around Paglesham, Essex at Explore Britain.
PAGLESHAM CHURCH END
TQ 99 SW
7/158 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. Mainly C15 with some C12 work in chancel and nave. C16 west
tower. Circa 1883 restorations. C19 south porch and north vestry. Stone,
flint and septaria, some Roman brick. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel. C15
east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, 2-centred head and
label. 2 small C18 round headed windows to north wall. South wall C16 eastern
single light square headed window, western restored C16 window of 2
cinquefoiled lights, square head and label. Between the windows a possibly C16
doorway sunk chamfered jambs and round head. Nave, south wall, end and central
buttresses, C19 eastern window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, moulded surround,
square head and label with headstops, central C19 2 cinquefoiled lights, pointed
segmental head, moulded surround and label with head stops. Western window of 2
cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, square head and label with head stops, carved
flowers to surround and head. South porch buttressed at angles, moulded
2-centred arch, moulded label. Small windows to side walls, trefoiled 2-centred
arches, square heads and labels. C15/C16 south door, moulded jambs, 2-centred
head, moulded label. C15/C16 nailed and moulded battens to door, moulded
muntins, 2 strap hinges and lock plate. Porch interior, of 2 bays, cambered tie
beam supported by arched braces on corbels, stop chamfered joists, ridge board.
Side seats. Nave, north wall buttressed at eastern angle. Eastern small round
headed window, western window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square head and label.
North vestry, gabled to north, east and 2 north wall windows of trefoiled
lights, square heads and labels. Small 2-centred window to gable apex. West
tower of 3 stages. Crenellated. Buttresses to north west, south west and south
east angles. Stair turret to north east rising above the parapet and with 3
slit lights to east and 2 to west faces. Bands below crenellations, bell
chamber and second stage. All faces of bell chamber with 2 cinquefoiled lights
under square heads, labels over. Each face of second stage has a single
trefoiled light under a square head and label. West window of 3 cinquefoiled
lights, vertical tracery, moulded 2 centred head, traces of moulded label. Band
below window. West doorway, moulded jambs and 2-centred head and label, much
worn. C15 nailed plank and muntin door, strap hinges. Interior. Chancel. C19
double side purlin roof, ridge board, moulded wall plates. C19 stained glass to
windows. Square red brick Sanctuary floor. C19 wrought iron and wood altar
rails. Eight C17 and C18 headstones from the churchyard now set in the chancel
floor. Floor slab to John Nassu, December 18th 1807. Carved fronts to choir
stalls. Cushion capital with ring under, on C20 circular column, used as
Piscina. Hatchment to north wall. Simple 2-centred chancel arch. Hatchment
over chancel arch. Nave:- C19/C20 roof of 4 bays with end and central
hammerbeams supported by corbel stones. Double side purlin roof, ridge board
and king posts, all joists stop chamfered. Eight C18 and C19 head stones from
churchyard set in floor. C20 octagonal pulpit with sounding board over.
Piscina to south wall, cinquefoiled 2-centred head. There is a rim band of a
bell dated 1598 on the south window cill. Niche to east of north wall.
Segmental head to north doorway. Donation board over relating to the bequest to
6 poor families given by John Nassu 1807. Chest, moulded rim to lid, carved
panel to base of back. C19 octagonal font. Tower arch. 2-centred arch of 2
chamfered orders, the inner resting on semi-octagonal jambs with moulded
capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway moulded 2-centred arch. C15, door
nailed boards, 2 strap hinges. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ9260593059
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.