If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 25 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 127001
OS Grid Reference: SP1619043502
OS Grid Coordinates: 416190, 243502
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0896, -1.7651
Explore more of the area around Mickleton, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SP 1643-1743 MICKLETON CHURCH LANE
12/86 Church of St. Lawrence
Anglican Parish Church. C12 Nave, C13/14 nave extended west and
aisles rebuilt on a larger scale, C14 west tower. C15 chancel and
clerestory to nave, C17 south porch. Restored 1868 by Frederick
Preedy. Nave and chancel ashlar with side and angle buttresses
respectively. South aisle coursed limestone rubble with angle
buttresses. All under tile roof with slightly stepped coping and
upright cross finials. South porch ashlar with flat roof. W tower
squared limestone with angle buttresses and ribbed, broached spire
with 4 pinnacles on the broaches. Plan: Nave, with north and south
aisle, the latter with south porch attached towards west. West
tower and chancel. South porch: 2 storeys, South wall 3-windowed.
2-light, flat chamfered king mullioned windows, with trefoil heads.
2 and 3-light stone mullioned casements and single, round-headed
window, to west wall. All windows to porch have metal casements
and leaded panes, some with original glass. Continuous band over
ground and first floor windows. 2 identical doorways one blocked,
in south wall with round heads, keystones, imposts and carved
spandrels. Flat, moulded hoods over. South aisle: two, 2-light
windows in south wall one 5-light window at east end, with original
decorated tracery. Chancel: two 3-light C19 windows with
perpendicular style tracery in north and south walls. The windows
in the south wall flank a studded, plank door in 4-centred arched
surround with decorative stops. 5-light, east window with original
decorated tracery. Three 3-light windows with decorated tracery in
north wall of north aisle. 2 stage W tower with C19 paired arched
doorway in W wall. 2-light belfry windows and lucarnes, all with
limestone slate louvres.
Interior: Nave with C15 clerestory and oak panelled ceiling. Organ
gallery at west end c1931. 2 bays of late C12 nave with still leaf
capitals and extra W bay of c1300. Aisles beyond have C19 timbered
roofs with arched braces, rising to collar with King post, linked
with decorative iron straps. Step up to chancel through C19
pointed arch. Furniture: C15 bound parish chest below organ
gallery. C19 pews incorporating some linenfold panelling from
former pews. Carved Jacobean pulpit in north-east corner. North
aisle: font at west end with C15 pedestal and octagonal bowl of
c1661. C18 stone decorated wall tablet on west wall to Thomas
Woodward by his grandson Edward Woodward of Campden. Late C18
decorated tablet right. 4 hatchments on north wall of north aisle,
3 C18 decorated stone tablets one large decorated with 10 paired
heraldic shields by Edward Woodward. 2 C19 marble tablets all
commemorating members of the Graves family. C18 memorial urn,
commemorating Utrecia Smith in niche in east wall of north aisle.
Another to Danvers Graves C12 stone crucifix below window. S
aisle: C19 memorial tablet and C19 marble monument and tablet on E
wall. 3 C19 wood plaques recording charities on S wall. Chancel N
wall: C18 stone monument with barley twist columns. C17 stone
tablet inset in wall, to John Bonner. 3 oval stone monuments one
above the other, far right, commemorating 3 Edwards of the Fisher
family. Chancel S wall. From left to right. C17 stone tablet to
the Rev. Henry Hurst. One C18 and one C19 decorated wall tablet.
2 C19 marble tablets. The urn commemorating Ultrecia Smith is
referred to by the poet Shenstone in "Ophelia's Urn." (David Verey.
The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP1618943504
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.