If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Burnt Norton with Service Wing, Weston Subedge

Description: Burnt Norton with Service Wing

Grade: II
Date Listed: 25 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 127060

OS Grid Reference: SP1462141504
OS Grid Coordinates: 414621, 241504
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0717, -1.7881

Location: Norton, Gloucestershire GL55 6PR

Locality: Weston Subedge
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL55 6PR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Weston Subedge, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 14 SW WESTON SUBEDGE

4/143 Burnt Norton with service wing
25.8.60 (formerly listed as Burnt Norton
House)


II

Manor house. C17, C18 former facade to rear. Extensive
alterations, especially to the north and east facades 1901-2 by Sir
Guy Dawber for the Earl of Harrowby. Interior remodelled and
modernised at the same time. Coursed and squared limestone with
some dressed limestone in the upper part of the left gable. Brick
rear wall. Limestone slate roof with flat coping and pierced,
pointed finials. Twin ashlar stacks with moulded top courses and
lower courses from right side. Two brick stacks, one multi-angular
front left. Some reused decorative C17 iron work guttering with
long rainwater head decorated with interlace patterns. Brick
service wing with projecting brick/limestone stack front towards
right of wing parallel to main body. Multi-angular brick stack
from attached wing at right angles to left of the latter.
Limestone slate roof. Octagonal bell and clock. Lantern with ogee
curved leaded roof and weather vane. The main body forms an almost
square block with a service wing attached left, set back from the
facade of the main body. The service wing is 'L' shaped in plan
with a wing running forwards on the left. Main body 2 storeys and
attic. Cellar at ground floor level below present facade: Service
wing: 2 storeys and attic with left wing of one storey with attic.
Facade of main body: 4 gabled with left gable set back slightly.
Irregular fenestration to all. 3 gables to right; 1901-2 with 2, 3
and 5-light, flat chamfered stone mullioned windows and 3, 4 and 4-
light stone mullioned and transomed windows with central King
mullions. Canted 2-bay window left with mullioned and transomed
lower window and mullioned window to first floor with decorative
open work parapet reading: 19H02. Gable far left possibly
incorporates C17 parts and is lit by 2-light C20 mullioned and
transomed windows. Single light, with a blind, round head with
keystone, right of front door. 5 steps flanked by low walls with
moulded capping stones with a pair of ball finials, lead up to
unpainted 4-panel front door in a roll moulded surround with
decorative steps, flanked by rusticated pilasters on engaged
plinths, with geometric decoration in relief. The rear wall is lit
by 12-pane sashes with wide glazing bars in segmental headed
surrounds. Service wing: 2, 3 and 4-light metal casements some
with segmental heads some with transoms. Very large sundial with
triangular pediment and scrolled brackets to either side, from
eaves to rear of service wing. The left wing has 2 and 3-light
dormers with curving gables over. Central, wide, segmental archway
flanked by 2 brick buttresses with curved limestone slate cappings.
Raking buttress to left wall. Subsidiary features: semi-circular
brick wall with 2 square, brick piers flanking entrance with
limestone ball finials attached to left wall of the service wing at
right angles to the main body, forming a small yard outside the
former stables. History: a house resembling a farmhouse was built
on the site in 1620 by Lord Saye and Sele. A brick front, now at
the rear was added early C17. In 1716 the house came into the
hands of the Keyte family. In 1741 the extensions built by Sir
William Keyte were burnt down hence the name. 1901-2 extensive
alterations and modernisation. The gardens provided the
inspiration for T.S. Eliots 'Burnt Norton' one of the 'Four
Quartets'.


Listing NGR: SP1462141504

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |