British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Edgeworth Manor, Edgeworth

Description: Edgeworth Manor

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 4 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 127204

OS Grid Reference: SO9489805920
OS Grid Coordinates: 394898, 205920
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7520, -2.0753

Location: School Lane, Stroud GL6 7JQ

Locality: Edgeworth
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL6 7JQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Edgeworth, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


5/104 Edgeworth Manor



Large country house. Tudor fragments particularly in cellar but
mainly late C17; mid C19 south range remodelled by Capel N. Tripp
in 1882; enlarged and remodelled again by Sir Ernest George in
1899. Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar dressings, chimneys and
frontispiece; stone slate roof. C17 house of 2 storeys with
basement and attic, central staircase plan; C19 south range of two
rooms; C19 north wing now demolished; C19 west range has large hall
and further staircase. Tudor revival style west and south facades
continuing round to part of east front. West front: 2-storey
gabled porch with attic projects forward of gable end of south
range to right and 4-window hall elevation to left with 2 attic
gables; windows are generally mullioned or mullioned and transomed
with 3-centred arched heads to each top light, all with leaded
casements; 2-light chamfered mullioned windows to basement with
relieving arches over; roll moulded parapet gables with open-work
carved finials flanking porch gable; to left of porch chimney stack
with paired diagonal shafts and moulded caps; to right stack has
pilaster modelling. Round-arched doorway with moulded architraves,
imposts and keystone flanked by fluted Doric pilasters, and Doric
entablature over with central carved coat-of-arms; round-headed
timber door with square framing, arched in head; 9-light mullioned
and transomed staircase window above flanked by Ionic pilasters;
cornice above is continuous on this front and incorporates
segmental pediment over stair window with strapwork carving
enrichment to tympanum and flanked by obelisks in relief; 3-light
window above with slit vent over. Upper floor of elevation to left
of porch has continuous pattern of fenestration: windows 2 plus 2-
light with king mullion and lozenge decorated panels between. South
front: 2-window fenestration with rectangular 2-storey bay window
to left and eaves mounted chimney stack to right. Bay has 12-light
mullioned and transomed window to ground floor with continuous
drip mould to this front stepping over; 4-light with 3-centred
arched heads to upper floor with similar 4-light in attic gable
behind. Chimney stack has pilaster modelling and is flanked by
ball finials mounted on the parapet; pediment immediately below;
two cross windows to upper floor with plain 6-light mullioned and
transomed centrally below. Part of east front is in Tudor revival
style: attic gable end in south east corner with flat roofed part
to right linked by crenalleted parapet; 3-light with 3-centred
arched heads to attic with 2-light below; tripartite with scrolled
pediment to ground floor; casement with moulded architrave,
keystone and bull-nosed sill to right with 2-light above.
Remainder of front is C17 5-window 2-storey facade with coved
eaves; ridge chimney stacks mounted on parapet end gables to north
and south. Central doorway entering at half level below ground
floor reducing window opening above; flat timber porch hood on
carved brackets; windows have moulded architraves, keystones and
bull-nosed sills; continuous drip mould above ground floor; mixed
fenestration within openings, some leaded casements in timber cross
windows, small paned tall casements and C18 sashes with some
glazing bars missing; 2-light flat-faced recessed mullioned with
relieving arches to basement looking onto area; 2 root dormers with
segmental pediments. Single-storey service wings to north are C20
replacements for former north wing.
Interior has 1 late C17 panelled room in east front: carved
entablature lintel to fireplace with eared architrave to opening;
2 carved floral panels to chimneypiece, the whole flanked by
fluted Ionic pilasters with pulvinated frieze over; shell hoods to
apsed niches either side of fireplace; fielded panelling with
bolection mouldings throughout. C17 timber newel post staircase
adjacent, with ball finials to newels and barleysuqar balusters.
Tunnel vaulted room in C19 south range as plaster strapwork ceiling
picked out in coloured paintwork. Further large C19 room has
Jacobean revival plaster ceiling and French medieval hooded stone
fireplace installed in C20. Terrace to south and east fronts of
house has retaining wall with offset buttresses topped by
polyhedron finials, and opening with square piers surmounted by
sundials. The medieval manor on this site was largely rebuilt in
1685 for Nathaniel Ridler. Late C17 house is visible now from east
side only. Stands on a prominent site overlooking the deep wooded
Frome valley. Gates and gatescreen to west (q.v.); stables and
coach house to north west (q.v.); and 2 gateways in park (q.v.).
(W. J. Sheils, 'Edgeworth' in V. C. H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 41-47).

Listing NGR: SO9489405930

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.