If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 25 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 128803
OS Grid Reference: SP0913727842
OS Grid Coordinates: 409137, 227842
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9490, -1.8685
Explore more of the area around Temple Guiting, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
TEMPLE GUITING TEMPLE GUITING VILLAGE
SP 02 NE
6/156 Churcn of 5t. Mary
Anglican parish church. C12 chancel with remnant of C13 extension
east. C12 nave and C13 north transept virtually rebuilt C16.
North porch 1884. Tower rebuilt C17 with pinnacles added 1834.
Restoration 1884 by J. E. Cutts. Coursed squared and dressed
limestone. North wall of transept limestone rubble. Nave roof not
visible. Limestone slate roof to chancel and north porch. Nave
with north porch and north transept; west tower, chancel. Nave
north side: 2 Perpendicular windows with stopped hoods flanking
north porch, tracery removed C18 and rectangular leaded panes
inserted. Gabled north porch with early studded plank door within
round-headed surround. Nave south side. 4 windowed; 2 windows, as
on north flanking former south door (now blocked), original tracery
retained in right-hand window. Blocked door C16 with hollow-
chamfered and roll-moulded surround with carved spandrels. Lancet
window lower right with hood with ballflower ornament and stops in
the form of human heads, possible entrance to former rood loft
above with plain rectangular surround. North transept:
Perpendicular west window with C19 tracery. C18 Venetian style
window in north wall. Perpendicular window now blocked with
original tracery in east wall. Remnants of C12 corbel table at east
end of nave on north and south side. Battlement with string below
to nave and transept. Chancel, north side; C14 two-light traceried
window restored C19 in blocking of earlier window with cusped head.
Small flat-chamfered 4-centred arched priests door (now blocked)
lower right. C12 corbel table decorated with carved animal and
human heads. Cross of Knights Templar on corbel fifth from right
(q.v. Manor Farm). Similar corbel table on south side. Early
English roll-moulded corbels remain at east end from C13 extension.
South side: C19 two-light traceried window with small rectangular
light lower left. C19 east window comprising 2 rows of 3 lights all
with cusped heads, one above the other. 3 stage tower with moulded
plinth and diagonal buttresses. Plank door on west in plain C19
round-headed surround. 2-light bellcote windows with blind
quatrefoils and hoods. Battlemented parapet with square pinnacles
rising to points at each corner. String below with a gargoyle at
each corner and intermediate gargoyles. Engaged stair turret part
way up south side. Clock dated 1870 at 2nd stage on north side.
Slatestone decorative tablet with triangular pediment to Thomas
Howse, died 1809, on buttress on north side of tower.
Interior: remains of Saxon cross on right wall inside porch,
cusped heads of possible stone screen with carved spandrels also.
Nave: plaster removed. High C19 round-headed arches over north
and south doorways, C19 round-headed arches to chancel and
transept. C18 round-headed arch with 2 engaged columns to tower.
Red and black tiled floor. Decorated piscina with ballflower
ornament in east wall of north transept. Aumbry with shouldered
arch in north wall. C12 reused winged lion corbel on north wall.
Nave, chancel and chancel roofs C19. Fittings: late Decorated
octagonal stone font with carved four-leafed flowers on each face
opposite south door (now blocked). Early C18 pulpit in north west
corner of nave with inlay carved enrichments and sunrays. Lectern,
pews and stalls all late C19 and early C20. Three C15 - early C16
stained glass panels in central window of south side nave, central
panel depicting St. James the Less with his emblem, the fullers
club, (fulling was once common in the parish). Monuments and
plaques fine example of the arms of George II in moulded plaster,
1742 by John Switzer. C18 benefactions board above font. Restored
bell wheel on north wall of nave opposite. Remains of C18 reredos
with very fine commandment boards, creed and Lord's prayer with
highly decorated foliate carving and margins. Decorated marble
tablet with urn to The Reverend George Talbot, responsible for C18
restoration of church (q.v. Temple Guiting House), died 1785, on
south wall nave towards chancel. Highly symbolic decorated marble
monument to John Beale died 1774, (q.v. Manor Farm). 2 cherubs
lying on draped sarcophagus with urn containing snake. (David
Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0914427844
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.