British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of Saint Michael and All Saints, Dowdeswell

Description: Church of Saint Michael and All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 129126

OS Grid Reference: SP0012019917
OS Grid Coordinates: 400120, 219917
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8778, -1.9996

Location: Dowdeswell, Gloucestershire GL54 4LX

Locality: Dowdeswell
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL54 4LX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Dowdeswell, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 01 NW
5/27 Church of Saint Michael and All

Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C16, C17 and C19. Cruciform
church, central tower, north and south transepts, nave with vestry
on north towards west end, chancel with organ chamber on south.
Nave; coursed squared and dressed limestone, partly rebuilt in
ashlar at west end. Chancel; ashlar at east end and on south,
otherwise coursed squared and dressed limestone. South transept,
organ chamber and vestry, tower and spire; ashlar. North
transept, coursed squared and dressed limestone. Purple tile roof.
Nave with south porch, vestry on north side towards west end,
crossing with north and south transepts, chancel with organ chamber
on south. Nave with flat-chamfered plinth and buttresses at west
end. Three light C19 window with stilted-headed lights and central
circular light with semi-circles either side at top. Buttressed
C19 vestry with C19 plank door within flat-chamfered, basket-headed
surround. Two-light stone-mullioned window left with pointed
trefoil-headed lights, two similar windows in left-hand wall.
Restored C14 style 2-light window with tracery to nave on left.
C16 north transept; flat-chamfered plinth. C16 three-light
hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned windows with carved spandrels in
right-hand wall. Cinquefoil heads to each light, stopped hood.
Similar C16 window to gable end in almost round-headed surround
with tracery and stopped hood. Similar C16 north window in round-
headed surround with tracery and stopped hood. East wall; C19
door with fillets up 4 stone steps. C19 hollow-moulded stone-
mullioned window with carved spandrels and stopped hood. C19
single light window on south side with cinquefoil head and stopped
hood. C19 organ chamber left with C19 plank door with coverstrips
within deeply moulded 4-centred arched surround. Stopped hood.
Fragments of reused stonework in form of trefoil-headed moulding
below doorway. Tall 2-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned
window in south wall with cinquefoil-headed lights and stopped
hoods. Small C12 tympanum with motif representing Zechariah's
golden seven-branched candlestick above window. Stopped hood with
dogtooth decoration. South transept, built c1630; three-light mid
C18 stone-mullioned window to gable end with 4-centred arched head
and stone panelling at top in place of tracery and stopped hood.
Sundial with a metal gnomon above, Roman numerals around edge and
letters I and A at top. Monument to Robert Rogers, died 1777, left
of window. Limestone with draped urn and roundels at top. C20,
lantern style lamp immediately left. Two-light stone-mullioned,
hollow-chamfered mid C18 window in left-hand wall with carved
spandrels and stopped hood. Broach spire, built 1577 with 2-light
round-headed stone-mullioned belfry windows with small 'eye-brow'-
shaped lights at top above stone louvres. String course at level
of roof ridges. Spire with four small gabled lucarnes. Decorated
pointed finial at top and weather vane. South wall of nave 2-light
C14 window with trefoil-headed lights and vesica. C16 south porch
with 4-centred arched entrance, decorated spandrels on both sides
of arch. Ventilation slit above. C20 cast iron gate. Flagged
floor within porch, stone bench seats along side walls. Traces of
stoop on right-hand wall near entrance to nave. Pointed C19 door
with cover strips with pointed hollow-chamfered surround. Biblical
quotation on stone scroll over door.
Interior: Mid C14 tall segmental-pointed double-chamfered archways
to crossing from nave, transepts and chancel. C19 gallery at west
end of nave, another in north transept, the latter entered from an
external door. Five-light C19 stone-mullioned window with
'Tudor'-arched heads to each light and carved spandrels in wall
between organ chamber and south transept. Chancel stepped up high
over vault. Segmental-headed niche right of altar and remains of
blocked priest's doorway. C15 unplastered barrel roof to chancel
with moulded spine beam, purlins and wallplate. C19 seven-facetted
trusses to nave and transepts. Tierceron vaulted crossing with
circular bell rope opening at centre. Flagstone floor throughout,
incorporating ledgers. Fittings; Perpendicular octagonal font
with quatrefoils at west end of nave. C19 wooden pulpit at south-
east corner of crossing. C19 wooden lectern and desk. Pews in
nave, transepts and choir c1840. Two C17 flat-backed ornately
carved C17 chairs either side of altar. C20 brass communion rail.
East window in form of triplet with commandments, creed and Lord's
prayer. C17 Dutch chandelier lighting chancel. Monuments; small
brass plaque to John Crowther, former parson, died 1623 set in
ledger right of altar. Brass of priest in processional robes of
c1520 set within ledger to William Rogers at centre of chancel
below sanctuary, two small brass roundels of similar date lower
left and right. Chancel north wall; C19 monument to Rev. Charles
Corwell of Ablington Manor House, former rector, died 1854. Fine
monument to William Rogers, died 1734, left; marble with
gadrooned base, portrait bust, Composite columns, broken segmental
pediment with cherubs and swags of flowers supporting coat of arms,
by Christopher Horsnaile the elder. South wall; C17 monument
probably to William Rogers. Limestone with slate stone
inscription plaque, heraldic shield at top within broken segmental
pediment. West wall of south transept (from left to right):
monument to Edward Rich of Upper Dowdeswell (q.v. The Manor House);
painted stone Baroque tablet highlighted in gold with barley-twist
columns with Corinthian capitals and broken segmental pediment with
heraldic shield at top. Small oval plaque to Rev. Edward Rich,
died 1895, set in apron. Monument to Bailey Rich, eldest son of
Lionel Rich of Upper Dowdeswell, died 1728; large marble monument
with heraldic shield at top. East wall; classical marble tablet
to William Welch of Hawford in Worcester, died 1833. South wall;
monument to Major-General George Bridges, died 1896, with fluted
Corinthian pilasters, pediment and heraldic shield. Monument to
right of the latter to William Rogers, died 1663 and Elizabeth
Rogers, died 1670, of Sandiwell; painted stone with two draped
figures with laurel leaf crowns right and left, shrouded body
within segmental-pediment, heraldic shield at top flanked by 2
skulls, apron with angel's head and swag below. North transept,
west wall, monument to Edward Rogers, died 1810, white on grey
marble monument with draped urn, various other C19 monuments mostly
to members of the Rogers family. Inscription incised into
windowsill dated 1577 with inscription beginning 'THIS SPIER WAS
BUILT BY WILLIAM ROGERS...' (and thereafter further names of
benefactors in primitive script). Hanoverian Royal arms over
chancel arch. Three other hatchments within church one of 1736
with the arms of Lionel Rich, one Rogers and Coxwell Rogers.
Stained glass in east window by J. Hartley, Wear Glass Works,
c1849. C19 stained glass in east window by Nora Yoxall and Elsie
Whitford of Blockley 1959. C12 tympanum recorded as having been
dug up from the site in a C19 guide to the church. (David Verey,
The Buildings of England Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SP0012219916

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.