If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 130679
OS Grid Reference: SP1932713041
OS Grid Coordinates: 419327, 213041
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8157, -1.7210
Explore more of the area around Windrush, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
WINDRUSH THE GREEN, Windrush Village
10/242 Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C15, chancel restored in 1874 by
Henry Woodyer. Nave with aisle and chapel on south side, chancel
with vestry and organ chamber on north, west tower. Nave, south
aisle, chapel and tower; coursed squared and dressed limestone.
Chancel, vestry and organ chamber; ashlar. Stone slate roof.
Nave north wall; moulded plinth interrupted by C19 plank north
door with decorative strap hinges within moulded 4-centred arched
surround, formerly with gabled canopy. Small C15 two-light window
with casement-moulded and stopped hood, lighting clerestory above.
Similar but larger 2 and 3-light windows either side. Hood with
scrolled stops over left-hand window. Parapet with moulded string
and three large gargoyles in the form of carved heads. South
aisle; C19 plank south door with decorative hinges within a round-
headed C12 surround, decorated with a finely carved double row of
beak heads. Single pair of engaged columns either side of doorway
with scalloped capitals with abaci with simple palmette decoration.
Inner row of beak heads partly covers the engaged columns. Shallow
C20 gabled canopy over. Four-light C15 window left within
rectangular casement-moulded surround with stopped hood and moulded
stone mullions. Left-hand return contains a small round-headed
window with flat-chamfered surround, now blocked with probably C19
commemorative stone plaque to Thomas, son of Thomas and Elizabeth
Jackson, at bottom of blocking. Parapet with moulded string.
Hungerford Chapel projects forwards right of south door; moulded
plinth. Three-light Decorated south window with stopped hood.
Sundial with metal gnomon above window. C19 organ chamber and
vestry set back on right. C19 plank door to vestry within moulded
surround. Single light windows on south side. Three-light window
within rectangular surround on east. Chancel; flat-chamfered
plinth. Diagonal buttresses at east end, buttress on north.
Three-light C19 east window with Perpendicular style tracery. Two
C19 two-light windows with pointed surrounds on north side of
chancel. Three-stage tower with moulded plinth, moulded string
c0.5m above plinth. Blocked west doorway. Two-light pointed
window above with simple blind Perpendicular tracery. Stair turret
at south-east corner with external access via C19 plank door up
stone steps. Tall 2-light belfry openings with stone slate
louvres, blind Perpendicular tracery and hoods with stops in the
form of animal heads. Battlemented parapet with moulded string
with large animal head gargoyles. Stepped coping at gable ends of
nave and chancel. Remains of an upright cross finial at gable end
Church interior; five-bay nave with aisle and Hungerford Chapel on
south. Chancel with organ chamber and vestry on south. Three-bay
nave arcade of c1200 with cylindrical piers with moulded capitals
and bases and pointed double-chamfered arches with hoods with
sheep's head terminals. C12 chancel arch with ornate jamb shafts
and scalloped capitals, abaci with sawtooth decoration slightly
later pointed arch above. Pointed arch with double casement
moulding to tower. C19 pointed arch from chancel to organ chamber.
C19 plank door within pointed arch to left, C19 sedilia and piscina
far left. Continuous hoodmould over all three openings. C19
pointed arch from organ chamber to Hungerford Chapel. Cinquefoil-
headed piscina within south transept. Trussed rafter roof to
chancel. C15 five-bay king-post roof to nave with braced collar
supported on reused C12 corbels in the form of animal heads.
Double butt purlins. Trussed rafter roof to Hungerford Chapel.
C19 coloured and encaustic tile flooring. Furniture and fittings;
fine C15 octagonal stone font adjacent to south door with
quatrefoils in each face. C17 carved oak pulpit with blind
arcading and 'S'-scrolls decoration. C19 wooden pews. Choir
stalls with probably C18 turned balusters (probably reused from
former communion rails), present communion rails C20 with
decorative wrought-iron uprights. Monuments; C17 ledger to right
of altar to Michael Mills. Ledger left of altar to Mary, wife of
Michael Mills, Vicar of Windrush, died 1683. Five ledgers set into
floor of aisle, mostly C18 to members of the Broad family. Two C19
white marble commandment tablets on west wall of tower. Ledger
leaning against east wall of Hungerford Chapel to George Hungerford
(q.v. The Manor) and Katherin, his wife, daughter of Edward Fabian
of Compton, Berkshire, died 1597.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and
V.C.H. Vol VI)
Listing NGR: SP1932913042
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.