If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St George
Date Listed: 28 June 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 131902
OS Grid Reference: SO8100104096
OS Grid Coordinates: 381001, 204096
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7353, -2.2765
Explore more of the area around King's Stanley, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SO 80 SW and KING'S STANLEY ST. GEORGE'S AVENUE
SO 8104 (north end)
10/28 Church of St. George
Parish church. C12; C14 alterations, C15 aisle; enlargement of
1823; extensive alterations including chancel of 1876 by George
Frederick Bodley. Coursed rubble and ashlar limestone; stone
slate roof. Nave with south aisle; west tower, south porch and
chancel with south chapel and north vestry with organ loft. C19
restored Perpendicular moulded south doorway with 4-centred arch
and C14 ogee-headed niche over with C20 carved St. George.
Perpendicular porch, extended at some date, has Tudor arch with
hood in parapet-gabled end with diagonal offset buttresses; C19
wagon porch roof. C15 aisle extended to east in 1823 with bays of
matching design. Five Perpendicular-traceried windows in wall with
variety of buttresses, one to right of porch dated 1607, another at
point of extension dated 1823; C19 pointed-arched doorway in east
bay with quatrefoil spandrels. Crenellated parapet incorporating
small octagonal turret. Perpendicular-traceried windows at each
end of aisle, that at east end being C19 with image niche in
parapet. North nave wall has C12 corbel table running full length,
most corbels being very weathered but some retain face carving.
Blocked C12 round-arched north doorway; remaining part of small
round-arched nave window. Three main nave windows are narrow C14
with Decorated tracery, 2 being C19 restorations. C19 chancel end
wall in mixture of ashlar and coursed rubble has triplet window.
Reset corbel table to chancel eaves interrupted on north side by
gabled organ loft and vestry; circular stair turret in east angle.
Tower of 3 stages is C12 to lower 2 with narrow round-arched window
on north and south sides and clasping buttresses. Pointed 2-light
Decorated west window has fragment of round-arched window over.
C14 belfry has 2-light opening to each face with stone louvres.
Moulded string course below crenellated parapet has 2 carved animal
gargoyles to each tower face. Memorial on north side of tower
dated 1732 has fine cartouche with flanking pilasters and
Interior: limewashed with ashlar dressings. C12 tower arch and
row of 5 carved head corbels in north nave wall set well below
present boarded barrel-vaulted roof with painted decoration by
Bodley. Part of splay to C12 nave window survives with zig-zag
border. Restored 4-bay south arcade with octagonal columns and
moulded pointed arches. Flat panelled ceiling to aisle also has
painted decoration by Bodley. Lofty chancel with Early English
style moulded arch on attached column shafts having stiff-leaf
capitals. Painted columns shafts to east triplet. C19 2-bay south
arcade to chapel. Chancel is dominated by organ of 1876 with case
by Thomas Liddiatt. Choir stalls are thought to be by Rev. John
Gibson, 4 being carved with the Evangelists. Two painted metal
candelabra of unusual design may be by Bodley; ornate gilt
candelabrum. Iron chancel screen. C19 timber panelled pulpit;
C19 pews. Square 1877 font with coloured marble inlay stands on
central circular pier with small marble columns at corners. Tower
contains collection of medieval tiles set in sill of west window.
Good set of memorials in tower to Paul and Clutterbuck families,
especially that to OBADIAH PAUL, died 1724, by T. King of Bath:
sarcophagus with bust over and supporting putti; also Clutterbuck
memorial dated 1655 with segmental pediment and flanking mourners.
Many memorials on north nave wall, including John Holbrow, died
1790, has broken column and shrouded urn; memorial by Wood of
Gloucester to Revd THOMAS BAYLEY MA, died 1817; memorial by James
Millard of Gloucester to Sarah Hawker, died 1793, has sarcophagus
with draped urn; and memorial with pediment and putti with hour
glasses to JASPER CLUTTERBUCK, died 1752. In south aisle:
memorial to Paul family, dated 1723, has shell background with 3
cherubs' heads; memorial to Richard Clutterbuck, died 1714, has
pediment with central escutcheon and putti with tourches. Most
stained glass is by Clayton and Bell.
(N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 242-
257; R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851 1951;
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8099104096
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.