If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Swithin
Date Listed: 28 June 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 131939
OS Grid Reference: SO8023103260
OS Grid Coordinates: 380231, 203260
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7277, -2.2876
Explore more of the area around Leonard Stanley, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SO 8003 SW LEONARD STANLEY CHURCH ROAD
12/65 Church of St. Swithun
Former priory church, now parish church. C12; C13 and C14
additions and alterations; c1885 restoration by Bodley and Garner.
Random and coursed rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with
north porch, crossing tower, transepts and chancel. C12 north
doorway with 2 orders of chevron-enriched round arches; 2 jamb
column shafts with scalloped capitals; billeted hoodmould with
beast-head stops. Part of C12 carved capital reset in niche over
doorway. Early C14 porch with pointed arch in offset-buttressed
parapet gabled wall. C12 round-arched window to right of porch.
To left 2 C14 Decorated nave windows and one larger C15 window with
Perpendicular tracery. Parapet gabled west end with C12 doorway as
to north; C15 Perpendicular west window over. Flat clasping
corner buttresses. Three round-arched nave windows on south side
and two blocked doorways, both to same design as north door,
formerly leading to cloister. Weathermoulding of lean-to cloister
roof survives on nave and south transept; corbel blocks also
remain on south transept. Single round-arched C12 window to south
and west walls of south transept; blocked round arch on east side
to former apsed chapel (roofline indicated by weathermoulding
above). C15 4-centred arched doorway on west side of transept gave
further access to cloister. C14 Decorated west window and large
C15 Perpendicular north window to north transept with flat clasping
buttresses reinforced by C19 offset buttresses. C14 east chancel
window with intersecting tracery; flat buttresses to side walls
and C14 Decorated windows. Large rectangular crossing tower has
C12 lower stage with later belfry, probably late C13, having 2
lancet openings with timber louvres to each face except north.
Crenellated tower parapet and to square stair turret in north west
corner which rises above tower, having narrow lancets on north
side. Tall hipped tower roof replaced spire, blown down by early
C18. Interior: plaster and rubble-faced nave walls. Segmental
inner arches to C12 doorways and deep splays to C12 windows. Wagon
roof. Two C14 mortuary recesses in south nave wall, one altered by
insertion of pointed-arched rood loft doorway. Stairs to rood loft
emerge at matching pointed-arched doorway; small round-arched
opening lights stair. Broad round-arched crossing with narrower
arches to transepts. Western piers have been rebuilt, but eastern
are original, one having fine floral carving to capital. Twin
shafts to each face of piers flanked by small buttress projections.
Some remnants of medieval painting on chancel arch; studded
hoodmould with beast-head terminals. Flat beamed transept roofs;
restored passage between south transept and chancel. Timber
panelled roof to chancel and marble floor resulting from Bodley's
restoration. Attached column shafts for former 2-bay cross-vaulted
roof, the large shafts to each wall having carved capitals, south
depicting the Nativity, north the washing of Christ's feet. Carved
string course at sill level matches that over segmental-arched
north aumbry, presumably C12. Reset carved tympanum depicting
Adam, Eve and the Serpent over further aumbry to south; double-
bowled trefoil-headed piscina to right. C19 timber panelled
reredos and choir stalls. C17 communion rail with turned
balusters. C20 timber pulpit; early C18 stone pedestal font.
Memorials on south chancel wall: to Mrs Eleanor Rishton, died
1765, has Ionic fluted columns and broken pediment with escutcheon;
to right Greek sarcophagus monument by Greenways of Bristol to
Robert Sandford, died 1804. Fine memorial at west end of nave to
John Holbrow, died 1780, has draped urn on delicately elaborated
console bracket and obelisk background with crossed inverted
tourches and crown in heaven. Royal arms over west door. Stained
glass to west window of 1922 by Morris and Company. Originally the
church formed part of an Augustinian priory founded by Roger de
Berkeley between 1121 and 1129. Remains of the priory buildings
and the earlier Saxon church stand to south and west (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, 'Leonard Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 257-
267; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8023603266
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.