If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 134198
OS Grid Reference: SO8261627556
OS Grid Coordinates: 382616, 227556
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9462, -2.2543
Explore more of the area around Hasfield, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SO 82 NW HASFIELD
3/78 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C13, C14-15, tower restored 1719, major
restoration and north aisle by Thomas Fulljames (q.v. Hasfield
Court and monument in churchyard). Chancel; coursed blue lias and
occasional sandstone. Entrance to vault sandstone. North aisle;
rock-faced coursed blue lias. Tower; coursed blue lias with
sandstone quoins. Timber-framed porch on blue lias plinth. Stone
slate roof. Plan; nave with projecting porch on south side, north
aisle with entrance to vault against west end, chancel with vestry
on north, west tower. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. Chancel
south wall; C19 pointed 2-light window left, C19 three-light window
in rectangular surround right. C19 three-light east window with
C14 style flowing tracery and hood with head stops. Pointed
trefoil light above with hood with foliate stops. Chancel north
wall; 3-light window as in south wall. C19 plank door in round-
headed surround in east facing wall of vestry, trefoil upper left.
Three-light trefoil-headed window in north wall. Shouldered
opening with door in form of iron grille to vault. Stone eaves
cornice around vestry and vault with carved floral and foliate
bosses. North aisle; C19 three-light east window with hood with
carved head stops. C19 plank door with decorative strap hinges and
hood with carved head stops. Stone eaves cornice with ballflower
decoration. C19 pointed west window with hood with carved head
stops. Three stage tower; lower stages C13, upper stage C14-15.
Stair vice at north east corner. Decorated 2-light west window
(partly restored). Lancet windows in second stage. Two-light
pointed belfry windows with quatrefoils in third stage. String
between second and third floors. Battlemented parapet with cross
finials on each side. String below with gargoyles offset from each
corner. Shield with date 1719, marking a restoration on south
face. Stone sundial with gnomon at south-east corner of nave.
Nave south wall; clamp buttresses, C19 two-light pointed window
with tracery left of porch, similar window right of porch. Two-
light pointed window with cinquefoil-headed lights (restored C19)
right, scroll-moulded hood with head stops. Gabled porch. Timber-
arched entrance (restored C19) retains some C16 timbers, T-shaped
strut above collar, trefoil at apex, C16 bargeboard with carved
foliate decoration. C19 side walls with wood-mullioned unglazed
openings above waist height. C16 truss against south wall of nave
within porch forming almost pointed hollow-chamfered archway.
Original roof timbers with single tier of windbraces. Flagged
floor within porch incorporating C18 stone ledges. Early plank
door with C19 cover strips with trefoil-headed tracery at top.
Original cross member with brattished moulding at top and moulded
soffit, early lock set in heavy wooden block on back of door.
Flat-chamfered rectangular surround. Mass dial on lintel above.
Painted interior; 4-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with
ballflower band around each capital, moulded hood with angel steps.
Double-chamfered C13 or C14 arch to tower, C19 segmental-pointed
arch from nave to chancel, wide C19 segmental-pointed arch in north
wall of chancel with C19 plank door to vestry, in blocking. Very
small trefoil-headed piscina in south wall of chancel right of
altar. Two ogee cusped trefoil-headed niches with foliate
spandrels high up in east end of north aisle. Blocked segmental-
pointed niche above window. Early plank door within flat-chamfered
pointed surround to stair vice from within tower. C14 two-bay
wagon roof in nave with original tie beam with moulded soffit. Tie
beam against chancel arch with brattished decoration along upper
edge, 4-leafed flower decoration on soffit, carved bird at centre,
stone figure of Christ crucified on wooden cross above, flanked by
two stone figures. Four-leafed flower decoration continues down
soffit of braces with carved spandrels supported by carved wooden
angel corbels: Cl9 arch-braced roof with collar and struts to north
aisle. C19 panelled roof with angel corbels in stone in chancel.
Red and grey tiling to nave and north aisle, some encaustic tiling
in chancel concentrated in sanctuary. Fittings: C12 tub-shaped
font on chamfered rectangular plinth at west end of nave. C19
pulpit in south-west corner of nave, incorporating reused carved
C17 panels. C19 pews some incorporating C15/16 bench ends with
blind tracery. C19 wooden reredos behind C19 wooden altar.
Monuments; chancel north wall; monument to Henry Brown (q.v. The
Great House) died 1620, Jacobean-Renaissance cream and grey marble
monument with Corinthian columns and heraldry. Monument to John
Barnes of Tirley Court, died 1820, white marble with urn at top and
branches at bottom. C19 white monument on blocking within
segmental-pointed arch below. Chest tomb to Dorothy Pauncefoot
(q.v. Hasfield Court) died 1568; limestone, right side divided
into 3 panels with raised moulded margins, heraldic shield within
each panel and at west end of tomb. Chancel south wall; monument
to James Alderson, former rector, died 1604. Blue lias with curved
top and crudely inscribed winged angel and floral decoration. Oval
tablet to Anne, wife of John Price, died 1707, with simple incised
foliate decoration around margin. North aisle; monument to Thomas
Fulljames of Hasfield Court, died 1847, and other members of that
family; brass plaque with ivy-leaf decoration around margin, paired
heraldic shields at each corner. Inscription at centre records
the building of the north aisle in memory of Thomas Fulljames (by
his nephew, also Thomas Fulljames). C19 stained glass in all
windows of chancel, at east end of north aisle and in west window
within tower. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England. Gloucestershire;
The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8261627557
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.