Buckland Manor Hotel, Buckland
Description: Buckland Manor Hotel
Date Listed: 4 July 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 134788
OS Grid Reference: SP0814135964
OS Grid Coordinates: 408141, 235964
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0220, -1.8828
Location: Buckland, Gloucestershire WR12 7LY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Buckland, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
BUCKLAND BUCKLAND VILLAGE
SP 03 NE
2/7 Buckland Manor Hotel
(formerly listed as The Manor)
4.7.60 and wall to churchyard
Former manor house, now hotel. C17, circa 1880, 1910-13 for C.T.
Scott by A.N. Prentice. Squared, coursed stone; south end stone
nearer to rock face with ashlar quoins; stone slate roof. Large,
rambling building, about 7 rooms wide, consisting of 4 parallel
blocks with linking sections, 2 and 2 1/2 storeys. Main front: on
left 2 gabled wings with slightly later flush infill between: C19
extension to right end. Beyond projecting C20 porch; 2 further
gabled ends, second slightly set back; projecting gable wing at
right end. Windows all with plain chamfered stone mullions,
leaded lights, probably early C20 iron opening lights and
decorative catches. All gables have parapets with cross-gablet
saddles. Left section, up to porch: first gable alternate thick
and thin courses below eaves; infill more even thick courses, thin
courses to right gable. Windows with tall, unbonded jambs, with
hoodmoulds. Plinth: in centre of infill section boarded door
with chamfered arris and flat stone lintel. Either side 2-light
window with linked hoodmould, vertical joint in stonework, 3-light
window to left, 2-light to right, both offset towards centre. To
right wall extended in C19, further 2-light window, with bonded
jambs. First floor 2-light windows, hoodmoulds to 2 in infill
linked. Gables over, on left with stump of chimney, 2-light
window in centre to infill, panelled chimney on ridge right:
continuous ridge linking gables behind, with gable on right end.
To right projecting, single-storey porch (post 1923), boarded door
up one stone step, 3-centred arch over with moulded surround and
hoodmould; moulded parapet. Above, set back, 3-light window
without hoodmould, moulded parapet to flat roof. Gable end to
right, plinth, two 2-light windows with hoodmoulds under 3-light
window in stone oriel, with hipped stone roof. Slight set back to
C20 extension on right, no plinth: 6-light window ground floor, 3
and 2-light windows above with linked hoodmould, single light
window in gable. Projecting wing, 2-storey canted bay on end: 4-
light mullion and transom ground floor, similar mullion above, both
with king mullion; string to first floor; plain parapet, single
light window in gable over. Chimney from eaves in angle on left.
Far left end churchyard wall projects from front of house, some
2.5m high alternate thick and thin courses, stone roof in 2 courses
with moulded eaves. About 12m from house doorway, boarded door
with timber arch under flat timber lintel: wall extends abou$
further llm to buttress.
Interior: at back of porch double-boarded door in 2 leaves,
probably C17, with studs and iron hinges, bar closer. Except as
noted, interior appears generally to be late Cl9 or early C20
detail. Panelled doors throughout, with original latches. To
right of porch 2 lounges, walls panelled with small panels, fluted
frieze, moulded cornice; moulded stone Tudor arch between,
originally with double doors: similar arch to fireplace in first
room, bolection-moulding to fireplace surround in second. Exposed
reused heavy beams in ceiling in second, ovolo moulding, exposed
joists. Dining room in end right wing, painted panelling as
lounges, vine tendril cornice, moulded plaster cornice above: wide
Jacobethan fireplace. Main stairs to left of porch, open well,
panelled, square newels, heavy moulded handrail and strings, turned
balusters, probably C17 work reset: landing balustrade to match,
dado panelling. Early C18 fireplace at left end,pulvinated
frieze, with moulded edge to shelf. First floor, bedroom over
dining room segmental plaster ceiling, stone fireplace surround.
Roof: first range to left of porch tie-beam and collar trusses,
angled struts, one pair purlins, no ridge piece; narrow queen-
strut roof at front of link to left, trapped purlins, no collar.
A medieval hall with solar end stood in front of right-half of
house, demolished in late C18 or C19 (old print). Two C17
parallel ranges on left linked by later C17 infill; one said to
have been a barn. House said to be much altered and enlarged
c1880, further alterations and extension c1910. Interior very
much altered, including changing extreme left wing from 2 1/2 to 1 1/2
storeys internally. Mrs. Delany lived here as a girl for a few
years. Forms group with church (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970; R. Haydon, Mrs
Delany, 1980; 1903 and 2923, 25" O.S. maps)
Listing NGR: SP0814135964
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.