If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Date Listed: 4 July 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 135112
OS Grid Reference: SP0020533178
OS Grid Coordinates: 400205, 233178
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9971, -1.9984
Explore more of the area around Alderton, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SP 0033 ALDERTON CHURCH ROAD
13/14 Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Anglican parish church. Perpendicular, extensively restored 1890-2
by Knight and Chatters. Nave and chancel: random squared and
dressed limestone. Tower; coursed squared and dressed limestone.
Ashlar south aisle. Red tile roof; stone slate to tower. Nave
with projecting north and south porches: west tower; chancel.
Nave north wall largely rebuilt in 1890: rectangular 3-light
window with cinquefoil-headed lights, moulded hood and carved head
stops to the left of the porch; 2-light pointed window with
quatrefoil to the right. Gabled C19 timber porch on a dressed
stone plinth with pointed double plank doors with richly carved
spandrels and decorative barge board; trefoil-headed windows
either side of the doors and to the returns. The porch conceals a
pointed double plank doorway within a moulded possibly C14
surround with a moulded and stopped hood. Diagonal buttresses to
chancel. Chancel north wall: 2-light square-headed window with
tracery and stopped hood. Chancel largely rebuilt C19: probably
C18 two-light square-headed window with tracery and a stopped hood;
C19 plank priest's door within a pointed moulded arch with a hood
with uncarved stops; 2-light stone-mullioned casement with a
stopped hood to the left. Four-light east window with C19
Perpendicular style tracery. Two 2-light stone-mullioned casements
to the south wall, one with a double-quirked moulding, one with
hollow-moulded chamfers. C14 south aisle with buttresses with
offsets. Two 3-light windows with rectangular heads and hollow-
moulded chamfers. Two possibly C15 three-light windows with
rectangular heads and hollow-moulded chamfers to the south wall.
Central double pointed C18 door with flush panels within a cavetto-
moulded surround within a C18 gabled stone-built porch with a high
Tudor-arched entrance, inside which lies the greater part of the
bowl of a Cll font. Pointed C14 two-light window with quatrefoil
at the east end, 2 eroded slatestone memorial tablets with
partially legible inscriptions to the left: pointed probably C14
two light window with a cavetto-moulded surround at the west end.
Perpendicular 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses; projecting
Cl9 stair turret on the-south east side. Plank door on the west
cutting the base of a trefoil-headed window with carved cusps,
spandrels and hood. Small lancet and clock to the stage above,
similar clock and lancet on the north side, single lancet on to the
same stage on the south side. Two-light belfry windows with blind
quatrefoils and fretworked shutters. Battlemented parapet with
string course and gargoyles. Pyramidal roof with weathervane.
Church interior: scraped, unpanelled possibly C18 pointed wagon
roof with plain stone corbels to the nave; C20 lean-to roof to
south aisle. C20 panelled roof to the chancel. Three-bay C14 nave
arcade with double-chamfered pointed arches rising from octagonal
piers, similar chancel arch with plain responds. Shallow
mutilated image niches with ogee-curved heads either side. Similar
smaller image niche in the splay of the window left of the pulpit.
Mutilated image niche with built-in image over the south door. Low
double-chamfered tower arch. Red tile flooring. Cinquefoil-headed
piscina with credence shelf in the south wall of the chancel. C20
aumbrey in the wall opposite. Fragment of C12 scalloped capital
and diaper decoration in the south wall of the chancel; fragment
of diaper decoration within the organ recess on the north. C20
pews and choir stalls.; C19 octagonal panelled pulpit. C12
limestone font in the south aisle with an octagonal bowl on a
pedestal with engaged round corner shafts with hollow-moulded
capitals. Fine long medieval chest with decorative wrought iron
work within the south aisle. Monuments: seven c19 ledgers in the
south aisle. Single pedimented white marble monument to the Rev.d.
Henry Higford, died 1795 on the south wall of the chancel.
Fragments of early stained glass within one of the windows in the
south wall of the chancel. Stained glass east window by Geoffrey
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1980; and V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VI)
Listing NGR: SP0020533178
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.