Former Holy Rood Church, Now a Merchant Navy Memorial, Southampton
Description: Former Holy Rood Church, Now a Merchant Navy Memorial
Date Listed: 14 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 135834
OS Grid Reference: SU4204511300
OS Grid Coordinates: 442045, 111300
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8997, -1.4035
Location: Holy Rd Place, Southampton SO14 2AA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Holy Rood Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
1. HIGH STREET
5239 (east side)
Former Holy Rood Church,
now a Merchant Navy
(formerly listed as
Ruins of Holy Rood Church)
SU 4211 4/137 14.7.53
This was built in 1320, rebuilt in 1849-50 retaining parts of the C14 chancel
and aisles and the south-west tower and spire and was bombed during the Second
World War. The ruins were restored in 1957 as a memorial to merchant seamen.
C14 built of stone rubble. Tower walls intact up to springing of tower roof
but the wooden spire has gone. Three stages with tall Y-tracery window on
the south side at the top of the first stage and 2-light cusples windows,
with circular tracery, to the belfry. Chancel remains substantially intact
with 2 perpendicular windows in the south wall. Blocked outline of a trefoiled
sedilia in the south wall. Under the tower is a memorial fountain, erected
in 1912-13 for those who lost their lives in the Titanic Dfisaster, removed
from its original site in Cemetery Road, the Common Stone Drinking Fountain,
supported on 4 stone columns. Curved pediment on each side with carving depicting
the 'Titanic' 4 columned cupola over all. The ruins of the church are scheduled
as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4200611268
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.