If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: The Chantry Hall with Boundary Wall
Date Listed: 22 September 1988
Date Delisted: 21 December 2007
English Heritage Building ID: 135995
OS Grid Reference: SU4255911562
OS Grid Coordinates: 442559, 111562
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9020, -1.3961
The following item was de-listed on 21-DEC-2007:
983/4/304 CHAPEL LANE
22-SEP-88 (South side)
THE CHANTRY HALL WITH BOUNDARY WALL
Church Hall and Community Centre. 1924-1931, foundation stone dated October
8th 1924; architect Herbert Bryant, Contractor H Stevens and Co. Roughcast
rendering, green slate roof; main roof principals to hall possibly reinforced
concrete; wing of 1931 reinforced concrete framework. Main hall runs east-west, parallel with street; to the left a projecting wing, formerly dressing rooms, but restructured in c1930 as a Council Chamber, to the right a small wing with kitchens, part of the original building, and beyond this a large flat-roofed wing of 1931. The whole enclosed a small courtyard closed by boundary wall. To Chapel Lane,left is crow-stepped gable to wing with shield of arms with 3 horses or dragons; wall to courtyard has wider canted bow with 1:1:5:1:1 - light casements to a stepped flat parapet,and pair of plank doors with decorative
straphinges in segmental headed opening, set back. Main hall has projecting
porch with crow-stepped gable over carved seal of the Rectors of Southampton,
in a vesica piscis, above pair of plank doors with decorative strap hinges on
3 -steps in semi-circle; doors set back in deep splay and segmental head. Each
side a 3-light casement with two transomes, flat buttresses, plinth, and lintol
band. At ridge a lofty louvred ventilator to ogee cupola with finial. Small
wing to right has crow-stepped gable to road, with shield of arms; to courtyard
central doors in segmental head, 3-light casement to right. To the right,wing
of 1931 with continuous parapet, 2 storeys: to road is 2 bays with two 3-light
casements at each level, flanked by and separated by buttresses. Between levels
an inscription 'The Chantry Hall of the Church of Blessed Mary of Southampton'
and, in central vesica 'A 1924-31 D' to right a pair of doors with strap hinges
in crow-stepped gable. Right return mainly plain, some casements, and a low
section with patent-glazing roofing to corridor.
Left end has return of Council Chamber wing with 2-light casement, then, below
gable of main hall, a 2-storey porte-cochere with square openings front and
back, and four openings to the east, with simple piers having a recessed necking;
parapet stepped and with four projecting bricks in diamond. This conceals stair
to cellar, and has brick wall inserted part way back. Back of hall has series
of flat buttresses, plinth, lintol band with four 3-light and one 2-light transomed casements and two pairs of doors, not part of the original design, with steps and walls to landings. At west end a large lunette in gable now concealed by the 1931 wing with various. casements, including one with stained glass. South front of wing has two 3-light casements set low, between buttresses, and four projectng bricks in gable as diamond. All windows are in small units of 4 square panes, and set to tile cills.
The interior retains most of the original fittings, doors, and panelling. Main
hall is in 9 bays with moulded 4-centre ribs to corbels, and central decorated
ventilation outlet. Council Chamber is panelled, has raised dais opposite bay
window with stone coloured glass; there is also some stained glass in an upper
room in the 1931 wing, used as a Chapel, which is also part panelled. At the west end of the hall is a pay-box and glazed screen: this, and many
of the fittings including rain-water heads, in late Art Nouveau or in Art Deco
style. The courtyard is enclosed by a rubble wall c 1.5 m high with central
opening, opposite porch, having two stone bollards in the form of short obelisks
carrying stone ball finials.
The building, associated with the Church of St Mary opposite, is in very complete
form and detail of its period, and represents an important social aspect of
the period: the foundation stone records that it was built: "To the Glory
of God and for the spiritual and social welfare ...." of the parish.
(Some information from architects and other notes in contemporary (October
12th 1925) pamphlet celebrating the opening).
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.