If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 29 May 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 140270
OS Grid Reference: SU3039636398
OS Grid Coordinates: 430396, 136398
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1261, -1.5670
Explore more of the area around Nether Wallop, Hampshire at Explore Britain.
SU 3036 NETHER WALLOP CHURCH LANE
11/21 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Parish church. C11 core to C12 nave and chancel, given aisles C13 and C14,
tower and aisles rebuilt C18, chancel rebuilt C19. Rubble flint and stone
with stone dressings, brick rebuilds, lead and old plaintile roof. C11 church
chancel now E bay of nave and several bays of nave, rebuilt C12 when chancel
became sanctuary with bay to W becoming chancel and nave built to present length.
Circa 1200 S chapel added to sanctuary and S aisle to nave, then later C13 N
aisle added to nave and chancel. Probably around this time chancel bay added
to E end with sanctuary becoming part of it and C12 chancel arch removed, being
reused for tower arch. In C14 S aisle rebuilt and joined to S chapel and N
chapel built, tower rebuilt after collapse 1704, chancel rebuilt enlarged, with
oldest part becoming choir, in 1845. Chancel has 3-light Perp E window, short
corner buttresses and kneelered gable. On sides 2-light Perp windows. E nave
bay has tiled roof like chancel, rest of nave has slightly taller clevestory
with to each side 3 C14 2-light square headed trefoiled windows. S aisle has
C15 pointed 3-light window with traceried head. Diagonal SE buttress. Lower
wall rebuilt in brick. 4 C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled windows. Between
W windows C19 gabled porch with double doors. Diagonal SW buttress and C15
3-light window with quatrefoil in head. N aisle has C15 3-light E window with
traceried head and diagonal NE buttress. Most of wall rebuilt C18 in brick
with reset C14 3-light trefoiled window at E, 3 stepped brick buttresses and
between 3 tall squareheaded C15 trefoiled windows. Towards W C19 rendered
gabled porch with double doors and iron gates and inside, reset in aisle, C12
round-headed doorway with continuous keel on inner order, later chamfer to outer
order, across both imposts,below cushion capital on jamb shafts with moulded base.
C16 3 plank door in C18 frame. C15 3-light W window. Large plan tower with
diagonal W buttresses and W 2-light Perp window with tablet above dating rebuild.
To N C18 planked door. Louvred bell opening on each face, low parapet with
raised corners with weathervanes. Inside chancel 'High Victorian', on floor
slabs, John Miller 1667, Rev William Dowling Clarke 1680, Ester Powlett 1697,
Hester Miller 1706, and Thomas Gatehouse 1749. C19 chancel arch copy of choir
arch, which is pointed of 2 orders, outer chamfered, plain inner on impost on scal-
loped capitals with round shaft. Pointed arches to N & S of choir Cl9 memorials,
ceiling inserted. Nave has arcades of 4 bays, with between 1st and 2nd bays
small break of wall where chancel arch was. To S arches on round columns, with
3 W having Cl2 scalloped capitals and roll label, other plainer like C13 N
arcade. Above on E wall remains of C11 wall painting of flying angels support-
ing mandorla containing Christ, on S wall C14 painting of Sabbath breakers
and on W wall C16/7 painting of bell. Floor slab with brass 1436 to Prioress
Maria Gore and at W under Cl9 font slab Moses Saunders. Tower arch C14 2 orders
inner on reused C12 scalloped capitals on round shaft, inside reused C15 timber
screen and C18 benefactor boards. N aisle has remains of rood stair in NE, E
window has C15 image niches inside rear arch. Memorial 1664 to Sir Francis
Gosling. Floor slabs large C15 without its brass, Dorothy Douce 1698. Thomas
Douce 1732 and to Cleverly family early C18. Pews in both aisles are C17.
Roofs of nave and aisles C15 moulded arched brace roofs with cambered ties,
wallplates embattled. Bells dated 1585, 2 of 1642, 1702 and 1770. VCH; 1908,
Vol 3; p528-30. Pevsner Hampshire; 1966; p343-4.
Listing NGR: SU3035136471
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.