If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 29 May 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 140619
OS Grid Reference: SU3089432914
OS Grid Coordinates: 430894, 132914
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0947, -1.5602
Explore more of the area around Broughton, Hampshire at Explore Britain.
BROUGHTON HIGH STREET (east side)
11/20 Church of St Mary the
29/5/57 Virgin (Formerly listed
as Church of St. Mary)
Parish church. C12 origins, c1200 N aisle, early C13 S aisle and nave lengthened.
C15 tower and nave clerestory, C17 rebuilt to nave and chancel, 1853 and 1901
restoration. Rubble flint, brick repairs, stone and brick dressings, old plain
tile roof. Plan of C12 church, chancel rebuilt C17, C19 N vestry, nave with C13
W bay, C15 clerestory, c1300 S aisle with porch rebuilt 1921. C13 N aisle with
C19 porch, and C15 W tower, remodelled C19. E end of chancel rebuilt C19 has
stepped 3-light trefoiled window recessed under pointed arch. Roof overhangs
supported on timber corbels. S side has 2 C17 2-light squareheaded windows,
W one taller and low set. To N is C19 gabled vestry with to W of it C19
2-light window. Tile hung exposed E gable of nave. Clerestory has on N to E 2
C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window, and to W C19 copy and C17 squareheaded
2-light roundheaded window. On S 3 C19 2-light trefoiled window and similar
C17 window at W. S aisle has at E end C19 2-light trefoiled window, C17 SE
buttress. On S to E and W similar window and buttress. To W of centre C16 gabled
porch with C20 S face of diagonal buttresses and perpendicular doorway with
C18 door. In W end small C13 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head.
N aisle has C13 2-light trefoiled window in E end, NE buttresses and central
N C19 gabled brick porch. Each side C17 buttress and square headed 2-light
trefoiled window. NW buttress and small C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled W
window. W bay of nave has each side C13 slightly pointed lancet and clasps
sides of tower. Tower has to W stepped diagonal buttresses to end stage C19
rendered brick battlemented top stage. To S low set roundheaded door. To W
reset C13 W door of 3 moulded orders, outer with dog-tooth between beaded rolls,
inner chamfered,outer 2 on shafts with moulded capitals. On each side reset
C15 niches, above single trefoiled light. Inside chancel early C19 vaults under
sanctuary. Timber lintels to S windows. C19 scissor truss roof. Monuments:
to S 1647 Christopher Hearst, inscribed slate in stone frame with Dutch gable
and 3 ball finials; to N 1830 to Rev. Marmaduke Searly, beside brass 1625 to
Thomas Dowse and wife. Under SE window C15 pillar piscina of octagonal bowl
and roses on sides, below octagonal shaft and capital with carved grotesques.
On NW sill stone bowl. C19 corbelled pointed chancel arch. Nave has to N
c1200 3 bay pointed arcade on round piers with multi-calloped capitals.
Similar S arcade with plain capitals. Clerestory has timber lintels. Roof C19
crown post keeping earlier tie beams and crownposts, rest plastered. W bay
has widely splayed rear arches and houses tall organ. At E floor slabs; 1719
to Henry Grey; 1754 to Rev. Nathaniel Ware; 1768 to Mary Hendow; 1779 to
John and Mary Hattatt. In NW tablet 1799 to Jane Hattat. S aisle has chamfered
rear arch to door and W window. Tablets: 1763 to John Merch; 1825 to Elizabeth
Hattatt. Above door early C19 benefactors board. Chamfered pointed rear arches
to N aisle windows. C15 aisle purlin roofs. Pews C19 rebuilt from C17 pews
with various Cl7 dates. VCH: Vol.4: 1911; p496-7.
Listing NGR: SU3081033021
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.