A c.1800 shop, altered c1900, part of the Bath development designed by John Palmer.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: as a c.1800 shop with a prominent frontage;
* Group value: with other c.1800 buildings in Stall Street, many which are listed at Grade II.
The refronting of Stall Street with the setting back of the building lines was undertaken as a part of the improvements to the city centre following the Bath Improvement Act of 1789. The designs were first prepared by Thomas Baldwin, but the work was not undertaken until after 1800 and to modified designs. The Council Minutes record (20 March 1797) that John Palmer, City Architect, was asked to prepare plans to ascertain how far it was possible to improve Stall Street by setting back the fronts of the houses, and this is probably one such improvement.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, roof not visible.
PLAN: double-depth plan on a narrow frontage.
EXTERIOR: three storeys, and full attic, two windows wide. The ground floor has a late-C20 (c1990) shop-front (Next), the first floor has a full-width display window of c1900, three panes, of which the centre is narrower. The heads are divided into three small panes, with a deep fascia above. A corbelled jetty supports a small balcony with wrought iron railings in front of the second-floor windows. The second floor has two six-over-six sashes in plain reveals with lintel and cornice. The attic has three-over-three sashes in plain reveals. There is a cornice and parapet.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.